Horrible year for camcorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Horrible year for camcorders?

With the HC3 being a downgrade of the HC1, and Panasonic downgrading the entire GS line, and Canon not exactly wowing us these days, does anyone else get the feeling that 2006 is shaping up to be a dismal year for low-end cams? Things are really exciting at the top-end prosumer level, but its getting depressing for the rest of the market.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

HD XM, Everio, maybe even Panasonic and Samsung are expected. With Mpeg4 Sanyo out, and H264 cameras to be announced next month or so.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

HD looks pretty damn good no matter how cheap it is, it seems. Currently they are eyeballing it suspiciously because they don't want people to choose cheaper cameras over the more expensive ones.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well bring 'em on, but please let them have manual controls and focus rings or they won't be much use.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

I think it is pretty amazing actually. The consummer level of camcorder market has been dead stale for years. Change is good!
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Actually I think the HC3 is a better match for me with my FX1. It is top loading so that there is no problem changing tapes on a tripod, has better low light performance, has manual controls just not a focus ring ( I always use spot focus anyway on my TRV50), has 12sec slo motion feature--- seems like a much better camera!!! Smaller and cheaper too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You sure about those manual controls? Camcorderinfo says that you can't control the shutter speed and the camcorder has no mic input.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Major Player

The lack of a mic input is a HUGE "WTF?"-twitch for me. Don't their additional microphones sell? What exactly are we to do when we need better sound? Buy another camera? May wanna price this at $850, that "sounds" better.

But, if there's some alternative way for better audio that Sony hasn't said yet, I hope they announce it soon because I may just wait to get an HC1 off of eBay or go for a Sanyo HD1 instead.
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

For me the HC3 will be a second camera so I don't need a mic input or many controls other than focus and exposure which it has. Any more elaborate and I will use the FX1. For me size, top load, low light performance and lanc control are the most important. This gives me the option of a second camera to the FX1 and a camera for casual use. As far as I can tell from the information I have it fits these needs much better than the HC1.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Well the industry certainly has decided to add a bit of sepeation between consumer and Pro.

Consumers are obviously too stupid to deal with tape and thus the DVD-R based cameras are going to be hyped.

Prosumers and Pro's will have HDD based and Flash and HDV tape of course.

I'm excited about the HC3 though and I can't wait for JVC and Canon to hit this market.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
The lack of a mic input is a HUGE "WTF?"-twitch for me. Don't their additional microphones sell? What exactly are we to do when we need better sound? Buy another camera?
Actually, I think you can buy Sony's microphones that interact with the hotshoe. Hope everyone with the HC3 really likes Sony mics...

By the way, I think 2006 WILL be exciting. I just know that Canon has to bring an Optura HDV out to combat the Sony HC1/3. And I bet the FX1 is slaughtering the other 3K camcorders. Now if we don't see some exciting products from the other manufacturers, 2006 will be a bland year for consumers indeed.. but a very profitable one for Sony.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Ah, at least that's a slight relief. Thanks Philip!

I've got no problem with the Sony mics, at least for a consumer camera like that. If there's an adapter for XLR mics, that'd be great, but I'd use this mostly as a director's eyepiece sort of thing for scouting locations and checking scenes.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:28 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm curious to see how the slo-mo function on the HC3 works. If it's as cool as it sounds I may pick one up.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News