"One last thing" from Steve Jobs... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Lot of cool offerings, and maybe The iTunes Store will sell shorts and features by up-and-coming filmmakers.

One thing not announced: the rumored iPhone.

heath
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Maybe all Apple's OWN distributed video is 640x480, but I'm betting the iTV will play user-created HD content at full HD resolutions.
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #18
Trustee

apple+disney are tightly knit because of pixar&disney's close affiliation. for all our purposes, they're more/less 1 company now.
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
I'd still like to hear more about that from Apple: so far it doesn't sound like they'll exceed 640 x XXX resolution at appropriate aspect ratios, and they're describing the quality as "near DVD". We'll see how well that works in practice, but it doesn't sound like what I'd want for streaming video content to a big-screen HDTV as Steve Jobs described. I'd rather pay a little more to get something which can play at least 720p resolution through an HDMI connection, and I'm hopeful that sooner or later someone will market such a device at a reasonable price. In any case, kudos to Apple for planning to do something interesting along these lines.
That's just the resolution of the files provided via iTunes download. I'm fairly certain he device will play at higher resolution. Jobs demonstrated streaming photos to the device stating that they are 'already HD resolution'.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Apple continues to carve out a niche in the entertainment business. That sounds like good news for an Apple user, such as myself.
Dana Acciavatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #21
Wrangler

Some more Wall Street analysis...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060913/analy...pple.html?.v=1

Quote:
"It's the software, stupid," he wrote. "It is an overused expression, but nonetheless software has been the secret sauce of Apple's success in conquering the legal online music market, where it has an 88 percent share in the U.S." ITunes, he added "represents the greatest barrier to competitors ever catching up with Apple's multimedia ecosystem."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
Dave, what were your encode settings? H264? MPEG4? Bitrate?
Attached is a screen shot of my MPEGStreamClip settings.

Remember to change your frame rate to match the source footage. I also always deinterlace for iPod.

Also, go here and read the info and follow the link referencing the material.
Attached Thumbnails
"One last thing" from Steve Jobs...-mpegstreamclip_16x9_ipod.jpg  
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I'm fairly certain he device will play at higher resolution. Jobs demonstrated streaming photos to the device stating that they are 'already HD resolution'.
Did Apple state yet what the TV connectivity options and output resolution will be?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

HDMI says it all

I hope it does 1080P. DVI out would be nice for my current TV
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #25
Trustee

I believe it will HAVE to be HDMI only which will eliminate ALL the early adopters of HDTV who dont have such on their TVs. I admire Apple for pushing the envelope here but I think you have a generation of people to change. HD-DVD, Blueray, DVD, downloads, etc. too many choices. Why would I buy a new $300 box from Apple that does the same thing as a decent upconverting DVD player can do for $150? Plus, I dont have to REBUY every movie I own and I can watch those on ANY player, not just one box they live on.

For most people DVD is good enough quality, so now you have to make it about convenience, as MP3 did. What is convenient about paying the same prices as WalMart to have a sub-quality "file" that is tied via very strict DRM to a box in my living room? I promise you that in most peoples situation, they would be able to go to Walmart/Best Buy in the same time it takes to download a full HQ movie.

What does all this mean? That Apple is taking a baby step in the right direction but there will be others. What if Cox/Comcast/etc. get the jukebox in the sky concept going? Your cable box (or internetTV box, etc.) can deliver you any movie at any time. A lifetime license to watch a movie is $9.99, or maybe you can "rent" it for 24 hours for $4 and if you like it, buy the rights for $6 more. As for me? I want something in my hand, as do most people. We will get there but slower than most think.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I believe it will HAVE to be HDMI only which will eliminate ALL the early adopters of HDTV who dont have such on their TVs.
It also has component HD output, along with digital audio output and good old RCA audio output. The attachment is a link to the streaming file of Job's presentation for the iTV section only.

-gb-
Attached Files
File Type: mov sept_2006_1_650_ref.mov#myself.mov (910 Bytes, 146 views)
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #27
Trustee

Interesting, how are they going to handle DRM over analog out?

Another point made by a friend today was how fast people adapted to the Ipod and other MP3 players, how is this different? I made the counter point that people have been listening to music in their car for 50+ years and people have been using walkmans for 20+ years, it was not a new concept.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #28
Wrangler

Well my crystal ball is a little dirty so I have no idea how the public will accept this. But, with all due respect Ash, your argument above sounds exactly like what people said about the iPod. Heh, I'm glad I kept my Apple stock and didn't listen to them. I wouldn't underestimate Steve Jobs, especially since he and Apple have attracted so much media attention these days.

Of course I could be way off base here, but I think I have some idea of what they're up to here and it goes beyond selling DVD downloads. Once you have the box, you're TV is plugged into Apple's network. It's all software, so they can give it all kinds of capabilities in the future. And I would expect free content to appear on iTunes as well. There's nothing to prevent them from offering the equivalent of on-demand cable TV with this gadget. And the beauty of it is that (in Apple's "pirate" tradition which created the Mac) they will use the expensive pipes which Verizon, Comcast and other companies have built for their own TV service.

Jobs said that Apple would be in your living room, he didn't say they would be in the DVD aisle at WalMart. Using your argument above, this is not a new concept either. People have been watching TV for 60 years. This is really just a new way to deliver it. Their challenge will be making it easy to use, fun, and "cool". In recent years this is something they've been doing pretty well.

But we'll have to wait a few months to see what the iTV really is and how well it goes over... it might just be another Mac TV: http://www.lowendmac.com/500/mactv.shtml
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #29
Trustee

HUGE difference, many people were already getting their music digitally thru the net, burning CDs, etc. etc. etc. Only a FRACTION of those same people are burning DVDs, and getting movies digitally. When iTunes happened the public and the industry were STARVING for digital distribution. The same is not true of movies. The public is luke warm and the industry is weary to say the least. The other gigantic difference is that there are more people in Apples way, cable companies, etc. all want to get in this mix.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News