David Fincher vows no more tapes post "Zodiac" feature: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Trustee

David Fincher vows no more tapes post "Zodiac" feature:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/vi...oing_tapeless/

that's awesome =). he produces great content AND is technologically inclined. i love him!!!!
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Major Player

interesting article. I've been a fan of Fincher for a while. Can't wait to see the movie!
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Trustee

isn't the way he has been working done on smaller indie projects that can afford that type of setup? so... it isn't really new... just "studio-ized"? or is it really new? i'm shocked that it would be... but if the resources are still v. expensive... then i'm not surprised =).

how many MBps would you need again for 1920x1080p 4:4:4 again? i can never properly remember it.
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Not every one can afford that,,,
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Major Player

I've never heard of any smaller indy projects using six vipers. The production flow they used seem to take available technological pieces and put them into a more streamlined workflow. But I'm definitely no expert on anything the article mentioned.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Trustee

no, no i didn't mean the full on everything. i meant the prosumer to consumer version of those things. you know... a 1080i/p cam with smaller 100GB disks, etc.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah then your right, the took an existing idea and just kicked it up a notch.
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Unless, of course, Zodiac bombs and Fincher is sent back to the 25 million budget level. Then all of a sudden he'll say "I've always been an admirer of film..."
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #9
Trustee

I think the crew shooting Spoon beat them to a tapeless digital workflow. Shot on the SI camera as 10 bit 4:2:2 RAW. Pretty extensive coverage on this forum and this stuff is affordable.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Apple did a little promo to advertise final cut. Its about David Fincher and his new movie.

http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutstud...e-fincher_h640
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Walker
Apple did a little promo to advertise final cut. Its about David Fincher and his new movie.

http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutstud...e-fincher_h640
Very good promotion video!
It's nice to see how director's in Hollywood, even at BIG blockbuster features are going digital with cheaper options, that they don't NEED all the superexpensive stuff, and that, as you saw in the promotion video, they in this way can count on more young and new people to help working on those features.

Smart promotion by apple.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Starway Pictures

I think Fincher is like a lot of directors working today. They really want to work on their films at the highest possible quality level. They want to "see" the film in its most optimum form while they're cutting it and not low-res proxy versions.

The Viper and the digital tapeless workflow allows Fincher and his editor to work on the movie in DVCProHD at 720p (or 1080p) with modest color correction pre-applied to the dailies. I think this is fantastic and is nearly identicle to the way I'm already used to working. Of course I'm shoting on XLH1s (which can't compare to the Viper's filmstream mode). But my post-workflow is DVCProHD based and I'm amazed how easily my Mac cuts through the footage. It's fantastic to be editing the "offline" at "online" quality and I think Fincher is loving this way of working too.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Trustee

anyone who has commented in this thread working "in the industry" like charles P? i'd like more of those insiders to comment. i think it's really interesting that consumers, prosumers and pros are converging alittle. yeah i know there's a world of diff. between $1,000, $10,000 and $100,000+ equipments... but it's interesting this workflow and ultimately, a digital "platform" backend connects with front end delivery system is really cool =). i mean, if the whole system works, then it doens't matter if you are a big budgeted epic vs. small indie, you can have the same access to similar tools! =). leveling playing field.
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
It's nice to see how director's in Hollywood, even at BIG blockbuster features are going digital with cheaper options, that they don't NEED all the superexpensive stuff, and that, as you saw in the promotion video, they in this way can count on more young and new people to help working on those features.
Vipers and the workflow that goes with them are pretty superexpensive. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News