Panasonic Mourns Passing Of Phil Livingston at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

Panasonic Mourns Passing Of Phil Livingston

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PANASONIC MOURNS PASSING OF PHIL LIVINGSTON,
VICE PRESIDENT FOR TECHNICAL LIAISON

SECAUCUS, NJ (November 10, 2006) -- Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Company announced today the passing of Phil Livingston, Vice President. Mr. Livingston died November 8th in Secaucus, NJ.

“Phil was tremendously respected for his knowledge and contribution in the broadcast industry. The entire Panasonic community will truly miss the invaluable contributions he made in furthering the company’s initiatives in the broadcast and production industries for over 28 years,” said John Baisley, President, Panasonic Broadcast. “Of more significance, Phil was a true gentleman and a gentle man. Our heartfelt sorrow and prayers are with his wife, Jan, and his family during this very difficult time. Phil’s memory will live on with the people of his Panasonic Broadcast family.”

Mr. Livingston was a 28-year Panasonic employee and held numerous technical positions there. Most recently he was responsible for Panasonic Broadcast’s strategic business development activities. For the last five years, he directed the company’s innovative Technology Partnering Program where he worked with more than 30 of the industry’s leading manufacturers to incorporate Panasonic’s leading digital compression technologies into their products and systems.

Phil Livingston began his broadcast career, which spanned over four decades, in radio at WVOS and WVIP in upstate New York. He helped build WOKR-TV in Rochester, N.Y. and developed an Instructional Television system for the City School District there. Subsequently he served for 10 years as Associate Director for Instructional Resources at the State University of New York at New Paltz.

He represented Panasonic on the Board of WHD-TV, the Digital Model Station in Washington, and had been involved in the work of the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) since 1987. He served on the ATSC Board of Directors from 2002 to 2006, and as Board Chairman from 2002 to 2005. He was a member of SMPTE, a SMPTE Fellow, and chaired the Committee on Television Production Technology (P-18) for two years. He wrote numerous white papers and articles, and gave many presentations throughout the United States and abroad on emerging technology. He recently received a 2006 SMPTE Award for co-authoring a paper entitled “A News Solid State Memory-based Television Acquisition System.”

In lieu of flowers, the family wishes that donations be made to Compassionate Care Hospice, of 140 Littleton Road, Parsippany, NJ, 07054.

-----------------------

All of us in the Press loved Phil. He was always direct in his many, many presentations on the deepest technical aspects of Panasonic products. NAB, and pre-NAB briefings, will never feel the same. He was the highlight of every meeting -- both on the stage and afterwards when one had a chance to just talk technology. He seemed to always know everything about video prodction.

Jan Crittenden, his wife, you all know from her many contributions here and at NAB plus other meetings around the country. Jan, please take comfort in knowing how much Phil was loved.

Best Wishes,
Steve Mullen
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The last time I saw Phil, he was arm in arm with Jan emerging from an evening function at this year's NAB. We stood in the cab line together and had a nice, upbeat chat and shared a few really good laughs. I'm grateful that my memory of him will always be that one particular golden moment, away from the working environment, smiles all the way around with Jan at his side, and that happy, prevailing Las Vegas mood where the real world is so far away. Jan, my heart goes out to you and the entire Panasonic family. All of us here at DV Info Net extend our most sincere condolences.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Trustee

I’m surprised I didn’t know about that until I read it here.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Major Player

My brother, Pat, and I are sincerely sorry for your loss, Jan.
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

So so sorry to hear about this. My sincere condolences go out to Jan and his (Panasonic) family.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Panasonic Broadcast

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Phil was so wonderful and kind. He had this inate ability to make the person he was talking to feel like the most important person in the conversation, and that could have been the maintenance staff at Panasonic or anyone in the industry. He was just simple a lovely gentleman and my best friend.

I haven't been here in a while as this nightmare started about a month or so ago and it has taken up so much of my time. This was the final stage of his bout with bladder cancer and and while the chemo kicked the cancer that was in the bladder, it didn't resolve the metasesed bladder cancer on the bone. That was resistant to typical bone cancer treatment which was radiation, and it was associated with a lot of pain. The good news is that he is no longer in pain.

So I knew that Panasonic sent out the notice yesterday afternoon and I am finally without company and went out looking for solice. Thank you so much for posting this and offering such kind words.

All the best,

Jan
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston
So I knew that Panasonic sent out the notice yesterday afternoon and I am finally without company and went out looking for solice. Thank you so much for posting this and offering such kind words.
I hope that you'll take comfort in knowing that we are all your extended family here, Jan. So few of us are lucky enough to have a spouse and best friend in the same person.

Know that if you need a 'virtual hug', our collective arms at DVINFO are extended to you.

Sincerely,

Greg Boston
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Major Player

I send my condolences as well. Didn't know Phil but knew Jan thru this forum and was always impressed with the courtesy and respect she gave us here with our incessant questions. Sounds like she imitated her husband in that regard. And didn't they just get married a year or two ago?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston
The good news is that he is no longer in pain.
It was a similar situation when my mother passed away. Knowing that this is finally so, that she was no longer suffering, is what brought me the most relief. Having her at peace greatly eased my grief. I certainly hope you're finding that same kind of solace.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Jan,

I'm thankful for what you and your husband have helped bring to us, the guys and gals who enjoy using Panasonic gear. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your families, friends and Panasonic.

Heath McKnight
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #11
Go Go Godzilla

Jan,

You're family to us on this forum; my condolences for your loss.

Robert
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Trustee

Hi Jan,

You and your families have my deepest sympathies and well wishes
in this very difficult time.

Jacques
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hello Jan,

My condolences to you and your family for this tragic loss, I hope this troubling time passes you.

-SM
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #14
LA FCP UG

So very sad and tragic. My thoughts are with Jan and all his friends and family.

Michael Horton
lafcpug
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #15
Major Player

My very deepest condolences Jan. You, your family, and Phil will be in my prayers.

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News