News posts from 2003 Q2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #46
Major Player

Ah, no. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out what to do with Moviemaker, said screw it, and edited a 30 second clip with Vegas featuring my kids. As I said, I have the toys so why not use them. Not the greatest clip but the kids are kinda cure.

www.spilmanlorentz.com/Mday.htm
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #47
Wrangler

New budget Matrox Parhelia cards

I was happy to see that Matrox will be releasing budget Parhelia cards, since the current Parhelia is overkill for my needs. The cards are scheduled to be out at the end of May 2003.

FYI: The older Matrox cards only support DirectX6 - the new ones support DirectX 8.1
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #48
Inner Circle

fyi, while these cards don't offer hardware directX9 support or fast game speed... they are the only video cards offering 10bit color on the desktop. that goes for ATI and Nvidias' latest too.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #49
Wrangler

Great job Rick! I'll bet that went over well!

The whole Moviemaker thing seemed a bit convoluted for most people. We were just asked to make the generic clips but I didn't know it was going to require people to go through all those steps to send them.
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #50
Major Player

I thought the clips were great, by the way. In my case it seemed foolish to use someone's clips when I had more than enough of my own.

I also thought that the process could have been far more automated. It appeared that one of the underlying goals was to expose folks to Moviemaker. Not sure that that was entirely successful. I feel perfectly comfortable with video editing software and I was confused by the process.
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #51
High School Student

Rick, obviously this is a carried over conversation from another post, or something, but you are having trouble with editing or something? I'd personally suggest forgetting windows moviemaker, and going for the real stuff, like Vegas, like you did, once you get used to a (sorry for saying this) crappy program, like windows moviemaker, it will be hard to move up to better stuff.

Anyway, yeah them clips are cool, I wish I would of thought of that. :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #52
Wrangler

Do you know if any of the new Nvidia and ATI cards are as good in terms of 2D performance and most importantly, display quality?

I mainly like the Matrox cards for the quality of their display, especially on my Sony Trinitron monitor. I just need basic 3D acceleration.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #53
Major Player

Ah, no Alex I am not having problems editing. I followed the I-Film set of instructions which suggest you use "Moviemaker". I looked at "Moviemaker" for a minute or two, said this is silly and went ahead and cut a short clip on Vegas.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #54
Warden

New York Times article on Apple and Microsoft

New York Times article quotes computer industry veterans that Microsoft and HP are borrowing too heavily on Apples designs. Microsoft's preview of Longhorn, their new OS due in 2005, includes many features Apple introduced in OS X in 2001.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #55
Major Player

So what else is new?

Hasn't Apple's function always been to innovate so the PC world can copy it 6 months later?
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #56
Wrangler

Documentary shooters needed in LA this Saturday...

As part of the regular Instant Films festival (www.instantfilms.tv), we are initiating the "Instant Documentary" this weekend. The Instant Films weekend involves 8 groups making short films over 48 hours, culminating with a gala screening in Los Angeles on Sunday night; the documentary of the weekend will also be screened on Sunday.

We need LA based camera crews to cover the event on Saturday and Sunday (the 17th and 18th). If you have a solid DV package and have experience shooting documentary/news and would like to participate in this exciting event, please email me at charles@instantfilms.tv with an equipment list and resume (or a description of your experience level). There is no pay, as is the case with the filmmakers who participate, but it is a lot of fun to be a part of.

Check out this article on todays CNN.com homepage, also seen in the Hollywood Reporter:

Old May 13th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #57
Major Player

i have the full 128mb card. It's really nice for video editing as it drives two LCD monitors and a NTSC monitor.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #58
Major Player

Does anyone know if these video cards work on a Power Mac?
Both the budget as well as the full-out Parhelia?
Thanks!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #59
Major Player

I run a Sapphire Radeon 9700 128mb card. VGA, TV out, and another multi-use output that can be used on another VGA display with an adapter (or plasma, tv, etc..)

Sapphire makes the ATI cards you see in stores. I decided against the Pro version, at about $150 more as the Sapphire's GPU and memory timings are unlocked. It easily handles any speed increases I give it.

Great for gaming, great TV out quality compared to most other offerings, and an extra output if I decide on two monitors for editing later.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #60
Major Player

IMO, the most convincing argument in favour of these new cards over the Parhelia is that they support AGP 8x rather than just AGP 4x.

Against them is the lower memory (only 64MB) and memory bandwidth, and the fact that they won't support the After Effects WYSIWYG plug-in.

The P650 will run two monitors, while the P750 will run three. A TV can be one of the monitors.

Matrox seems to be pushing the P750 more towards DV, with the P650 towards business desktops.

A full comparison is here: http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/c...s_parhelia.cfm

For me, it's a tough call between the Parhelia (128/256MB RAM, AE plug-in) and the P750 (AGP 8x), but I have to admit that the faster AGP port speed is more tempting.

If Matrox develops drivers for the Mac, it will be a first!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News