New Super 8mm Film Camera: Retroternative Imaging - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 17th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #16
New Boot

Parallax Viewing Issue

Since these really intresting cameras accept c-mount lenses the fact that they aren't reflex isn't an issue if you know a little about c-mount lens history. Back in the fifties SOM Berthiot made a few lines of c-mount lenses that had a Dog Leg viewfinder that attached to a zoom lens that could could fit all c-mount cameras. Their main market target was Bolex which hadn't yet come out with their prism reflex system. They originally to cost as much as a brand new Cadillac in 1955. There were enough made (and made well) that you can find these all the time on ebay for less than $300 bucks. I used to have one and regret ever selling it along with my non-reflex Bolex, which according to is serial number was one of the last made before the reflex switch.
The best model is the SOM Berthiot 17-85/2 Pan Cinor. In fact if you search ebay right now you'll find one for cheap, I might even bid.

So the non-reflex nature of these cameras for the determined DP could be fixed, sort of.
Russell Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Major Player

This camera will never get made. Who in their right mind would pay 5 grand for a super 8 , even a ds8 camera ? I've seen , and I'm not interested in even
watching anymore , ds8 canons and bolexs go for 5-600 on ebay . Or a regular s8 like beaulieu 4008zmll for 300 would be alot better deal unless you plan on shooting 100,000 feet of film. If you want to shoot film , buy a nice little eclair acl for 1500-2 grand, or a beaulieu r16 for 6-700 and shoot 16 , and you will still be very happy with the telecined grainy image, crop it for 16x9 and it will serve you much better than this 25 year/toolate dinosaur. You could never ,ever shoot enough ds8 film stock to justify spending 5k. In the early 80's when super 8 sound was the thing , Aaton had a s8 protoytpe ready but they didn't release it then at about the same price ( 5k ) as the going 16mm cameras. Why would someone even consider it now. Rent an Aaton or Arriflex and don't look back.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News