Pro Video Show in Massachusetts. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #16
Trustee

I just noticed on their site that you can actually purchase either the JVC HM100 or the HM700 at the show. I don’t think you’ll be able to purchase the Panasonic HPX300 but who knows.
http://www.cameraco.com/category-s/213.htm
That should be an incentive for some of you who weren’t originally planning on going.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Trustee

The HPX300 actually was available for purchase but not the HM100, in fact, it wasn’t even on display. JVC is most likely either taking a little bit more time smoothing out the firmware or the only one that could have been available for the show was the one that had the stabilizer disabled. I really wanted to try it out.

At least I got to try out the HM700 and the HPX300. The JVC rep said that it’s better to get the HM700 now because of the bundled Fujinon lens which is going to be in limited supply. It seams to me that he was implying that it’s much better than the bundled Canon lens. I wasn’t paying attention to how much they were selling the HM700 compared to B&H’s prices but I did see that the HPX300 was selling for only $8,000 and a Panasonic rep told me that 6 of them got sold at the show so far and that the HMC-150 was so popular that it got sold out and someone ended up buying the display model for $1,000 less. I should have got to the show earlier to try it out. Anyway, I would have been extremely happy to be able to afford the HPX300 and gone home with it today. It’s very comfortable to hold especially for a full size camera.

Their wasn’t much action at Canon’s booth but I give them a lot of credit for being the only company that shows their top consumer camcorders. It may be a Pro video show but a lot of people use these types of camcorders for professional applications especially as a B camera. Panasonic, Sony and JVC should learn from the way Canon markets their consumer HD camcorder. Canon even had the 5D Mark II on display. I can’t say the same thing about the Panasonic GH1. Hint to Panasonic; Bring it to NAB!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
The JVC rep said that it’s better to get the HM700 now because of the bundled Fujinon lens which is going to be in limited supply. It seams to me that he was implying that it’s much better than the bundled Canon lens.
JVC did a session on the 700 and 100. The 100 isn't out yet...supposed to be coming soon.

Re the 700. I wasn't paying close attention - as I wasn't thinking of buying one - but the presenter said the camera was supposed to ship with the Canon lens, but the lens was delayed, so they are bundling a more expensive (and better) Fujinon lens because they wanted to ship the camera.

Quote:
I can’t say the same thing about the Panasonic GH1. Hint to Panasonic; Bring it to NAB!
The GH1 isn't shipping yet (not expected until June.)
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #19
Trustee

Well I just overheard the conversation with a JVC rep and an actual buyer.

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t show the GH1 because it’s not shipping. It doesn’t make sense at all. In that case, they shouldn’t have showed it at PMA, but they did. Like I said, they and a few other companies needs to learn from Canon when it comes to marketing.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
I’m not sure why they wouldn’t show the GH1 because it’s not shipping. It doesn’t make sense at all. In that case, they shouldn’t have showed it at PMA, but they did. Like I said, they and a few other companies needs to learn from Canon when it comes to marketing.
It's a small - tiny really - show, and most of the exhibitors seemed to be the area reps for the companies, not the head offices i.e. for PMA, Panasonic's head office would have arranged that, hence the prototype cameras.

Re showing consumer gear; you might want to take that up with the organizers of the show: The Camera Company. From their website, they appear to primarily sell pro-gear (probably can't compete with Best Buy etc.,) In fact, if you look under their link for consumer video, all you see are four Canon cameras! (which may actually be why Canon was the only one there with consumer level cameras!)

I thought it was worth going to the show. Yes, I wish it was bigger and with a wider range of equipment, but it was worth checking out.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM   #21
Trustee

Panasonic did show the AG-HSC1U before it was released in that show but this time they didn’t even show the TM300. It may not have the AG in the beginning of the name but it’s significantly better. As for the GH1, Panasonic intends on making sure it becomes as successful as possible and bringing it to every show that professional video stores organizes is a smart marketing move. I’m sure it wont be too difficult persuading the stores to sell it.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #22
Trustee

I've received the email for a while now but never bother to post it yet until now.
The dates for this year's event will be on the 12th and 13th of March.
The Camera Company's 20th Annual Pro Video Show

The Sony cameras that you'll see are the 350K, EX1R and the NX5u. As for Canon, I'm sure they'll show off the HF S21 since they always show their top of the line consumer camcorders. Perhaps Canon will even show it's 422 camcorder. I'm hoping Sony and Panasonic will show off both the CX550V and the TM700 respectively. I would also like to see Panasonic bring it's 3DA1 camera and it's 3D TV.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #23
Trustee

thanks for keeping this thread alive! do u think videographers in MA are growing or shrinking?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM   #24
Major Player

I think videographers in MA are shrinking along with the work out there, I don't know when things are going to turn around.
I will be at the show, I never miss it and I always spend money there,T2i is on my list this year and I hope they have it.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Trustee

It's amazing how time really flies. It doesn't seam that long ago that I posted the dates for the 2010 one. Well anyway, here's the dates for this year's event.
The Camera Company's 21st Annual Pro Video Show

This thread is actually 4 years old.

I'm going to try to make it but what I really need to do is finally get to NAB.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News