Sony buys Sonic Foundry Assets, including Vegas - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #46
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ravens : I think you're on to something Dylan. Doesn't that mean that anyone with half a brain should look below the marketing before they shoot their mouth off. -->>>

Yes, but that's not the problem. Most people looking for an NLE have never heard of Vegas Video. I talk to alot of indie film/video people here. They look at me like I'm a newb when I say I edit on Vegas because they haven't heard of it, because SoFo doesn't market it very well (if at all).

It doesn't matter how good your product is if you can't sell it.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #47
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Does anyone remember what Final Cut Pro was originally named when Apple bought it from Macromedia a few years ago? <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #48
Rextilleon

I am a long term Vegas user and certainly do like the product above the others I have tried. Having said that, I am beginning to think that wasting time worrying about what Sony does is really a waste of time. Simply put, if Sony were to throw Vegas on the scrap heap it really wouldn't affect my professional career. I would merely chose another NLE and learn to live with it. I am one of the few former Premiere user who really did like aspects of the software. I have used Avid and could learn to live with that. What I am saying is that life goes on and tools will be created and will disappear---what remains constant is our love for video and editing.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #49
Inner Circle

>>How do you know that Matsushita manufactures Denon home theater products? I am sure that Denon is using components and assemblies from other companies, including Matsushita's; I think that the relationship ends there. <<

Panasonic owns Denon, Matsushita owns Panasonic. As far as what components they use, I am merely saying that Denon is considered one of the better Home theater brands. They have their own engineering people, just like Pana and JVC. In fact Denon is using tech developed by several well regared US based audio/video chip vendors. They also make one of the best (and expensive) all format DVD players you can currently purchase.
My point was about Sony not being the only quality brand around. Nothing more.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #50
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Does anyone remember what Final Cut Pro was originally named when Apple bought it from Macromedia a few years ago? <g> -->>>

No, what was it?
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:45 PM   #51
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I don't recall, either. Just as few will recall the "Vegas Video" name if Sony chooses to rebrand it. It will suddenly seeem like a new product.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #52
Permanently Banned

Joe Carney: Panasonic owns Denon, Matsushita owns Panasonic.

Matsushita sells products as Panasonic, Quasar, in the US; in some countries as National. They own over 50% of JVC. Denon is an independent company.
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #53
Warden

Denon is owned by D & M Holdings. They operate Denon and Marantz as wholly owned subsidiaries.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #54
Permanently Banned

Isn't Marantz owned by Philips now?
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #55
Warden

The latest financials I found were as of 3/31/2003 and at that time D & M Holdings owned Marantz. They reported a little over a billion Yen profit in the first quarter. If Phillips owns Marantz it was sold in the last 45 days.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #56
Inner Circle

I guess I'm out of date. Pana used to own Denon at least thats what all the audiophiles told me awhile ago. glad to know they are not, makes them seem even better.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #57
Warden

Joseph, Philips owns about 15% of D & M Holdings. However, they are not the largest shareholder, nor control day to day operations. They got the 15% of the stock when they sold Marantz last year. The sale involved stock swaps, cash etc. and Philips received 15% of D & M for their 49% ownership (stock) in Marantz.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News