New MacBook Pros at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New MacBook Pros

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I can't keep up, lol. I bought mine about a month ago. 2.16 ghz. Looks like the rumor sites were right--a week before WWDC.

heath
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Wrangler

i'm so excited. this is the one i've been waiting for...now if they would just release the new OS, i could give them a big pile of my money...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, they are nice. The processors are not much faster, but the ability to get the 1920x1200 in a 17" notebook is awesome. The graphics card also is only slightly better. You can now get 4 Gigs of Ram which is nice, but overall this was a minor upgrade, but welcomed.

I am waiting for the new iMac's. They are going to be upgraded soon, likely WWDC, but I am hoping for a overhaul in design. I do not just want the Santa Rosa chips in them, I really am hoping to see a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 in the 24". That would be sweet.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Leopard ships in October this year.

heath
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

ps-The native size of the 17" isn't 1920 x 1080 yet, which kinda stinks. That would be nice, but sacrificing text, etc., isn't worth it until maybe Apple comes out, if they ever do, with a bigger laptop.

heath
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
ps-The native size of the 17" isn't 1920 x 1080 yet, which kinda stinks. That would be nice, but sacrificing text, etc., isn't worth it until maybe Apple comes out, if they ever do, with a bigger laptop.

heath
The Native size of the 17" is 1920x1200 (16x10) if you opt for it...as for the size of the screen, yes, I imagine that Apple will likely make a 19" or something to that efffect eventually.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Trustee

Looks like an interim update. Finally fixing the sub-standard and splotchy screens, which is good. I suspect an entire upgrade in another 6 months or so. Check the Apple store for good deals on prev gen Macbook Pros in the coming weeks.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

I didn't see that:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

It says "1680 by 1050 (native)" though it looks like you can pay for the 1920 x 1200 option. I stand corrected. :-)

heath
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I didn't see that:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

It says "1680 by 1050 (native)" though it looks like you can pay for the 1920 x 1200 option. I stand corrected. :-)

heath
Yep Heath,

You pay an extra $100 for the higher rez screen but that higher rez AUTOMATICALLY makes regular text smaller and somewhat harder to read at least with the current OS.

The big OS rev scheduled for October is said to include a resolution independent desktop.

So the current high rez option is for those who need to edit High Rez stuff RIGHT NOW and are purpose buying the machine for primarily that kind of work.

FWIW
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner View Post
the ability to get the 1920x1200 in a 17" notebook is awesome.
Dell and a few other companies have had notebooks at this resolution for about 5 years now at 15.4" and 17". I'm surprised it's taken Apple this long to finally catch up. Now they just need to release a couple of tablet notebooks.
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

From what I understand though, the font sizes get so small, that might explain why Apple waited so long.

heath
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
Dell and a few other companies have had notebooks at this resolution for about 5 years now at 15.4" and 17".
We have a few of the 15" Dell laptops at work, and I have to agree with Heath and Bill. These machines are used for regular "office stuff" like spreadsheets, word processing, etc. and the default fonts are really difficult to read.

I've been developing a pretty sophisticated database which runs the production department here at the Opera Company. It looks good on my Macs, and fine under XP on most PC's. But on those Dell laptops it's just about impossible to read 9 point text. I wouldn't want a laptop with that fine of a dot pitch myself...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quadcore iMac would be wonderful but knowing Apple I'm hesitant. Just bought a 24" 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM and its wonderful this past November. Although I have no money nor desire for another Mac, can't wait to see where the iMac is going. Its beautiful now, its amazing when you think you can't make it better, Apple somehow finds a way.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Major Player

not impressed yet

until they put in a blue ray hdv burner I am not interested apple is just buying time this upgrade should have had more in it hdv burner, quadcore, ect....
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News