Watch YouTube on your iPhone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Wrangler

Watch YouTube on your iPhone

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070620/youtube_iphone.html?.v=6

Quote:
YouTube, which has developed a huge audience on desktop computers but is not widely used on cell phones, has begun encoding its videos in a new format to improve quality and save battery life when viewed over wireless devices.

The iPhone will be the first mobile device to use the new format, Apple said. More than 10,000 videos will be available on the iPhone when it hits stores on June 29, with more material added each week, it said.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Well yeah, of course you can do this, it has the REAL internet on it. According to commercials.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

You can watch Youtube on a Wii :P (Free browser has some Flash support )

Iphone is way too much for me... mp3 player to listen to music, computer for internet, phone for talking... combining it = ?
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I wonder if it's H.264...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Here is another story about it: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284915,00.html
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
Iphone is way too much for me... mp3 player to listen to music, computer for internet, phone for talking... combining it = ?
Keep in mind that the cost of an iPhone will be ~$500 up front plus as much as $100/month for the service contract if you want all the fancy internet features, so that's almost $3000 for the first two years of ownership. Plus you have to switch to AT&T wireless if you aren't already getting your cell phone service through them, and if they happen to have poor signal quality in your area you're out of luck.

I have a Cingular PDA phone with many of the capabilities of an iPhone and don't bother with most of that except keeping my calendar and writing an occasional note to myself. Plus using a touch-screen to make phone calls can be challenging due to the lack of physical buttons, so I've programmed the phone to call my most common numbers via voice activation. It's nice having a do-all portable phone, but for any serious computing or web surfing I'd rather use a laptop.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

It's just too impractical as a cell phone. I need a cell phone that is rugged, and cheap... I would be too afraid to take the iPhone out of the house!

It does look neat, and if it ever gets down really in price I may pick one up.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
I wonder if it's H.264...
Yes it is. YouTube has begun converting their entire catalog to H.264. They expect to have around 10,000 done by the time of iPhone launch. The entire process is supposed to be completed by this fall.

I just updated my AppleTV software yesterday and am now able to watch videos on my rear projection tv in the living room. It's kind of handy. You can even log into your YouTube account from AppleTV. You can't comment, however you can leave a rating or flag as inappropriate.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
It's just too impractical as a cell phone. I need a cell phone that is rugged, and cheap... I would be too afraid to take the iPhone out of the house!

It does look neat, and if it ever gets down really in price I may pick one up.
I have an LG VX8300... fell off the roof of my car going 60... don't ask how I found it (Small highway, 2 lane, 55mph speed limit) I thought I lost it in the car when we got to the restaraunt and couldn't hear anything in the car.

Drove back and found it laying on the side of the road with the battery cover inbetween the two yellow lanes... had 11 missed calls in the last 20 minutes :)

The smaller LG Flip-phones are rugged, my last one broke because I didn't take care of the charging port (I'd rip the cable out, not press the tabs) eventually it yanked out... the phone itself still worked, I just can't charge it anymore
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News