How do you test your DVD-r's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How do you test your DVD-r's?

What is your procedure for testing a completed DVD before delivering??

Do you put it in a standalone set top player?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes. Then I test the menus, chapters, and alternate sound tracks.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I test it in three different players and two different computers. Basically, everything in the house that will play a dvd.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For the burn part, I let Nero verify the write by reading back the data from the disk and comparing it bit by bit. A lot of DVD burners fail that test even with the same DVD media.

For the DVD part, I think it's very important to test your chapter increment and decrement as software players (Cynerlink PowerDVD) do that differently than what's expected.

Speaking of which, what's up with Sony's BluRay player and its ignoring the Play button from the main menu. You have to push Select/Enter to start play. The same thing happens with two different Sony remotes from the Blue Ray and from a Sony LCD TV, so I'm wondering if itd my player.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Trustee

Test it in every DVD player in the house and send it.

Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Most of my work is on runs of 25 - 200 copies.
I test the master on my computer and in two different DVD players (one a $300 and one a $30) for navigation etc.
I then just test random samples (menus, titles, chapter points) from approximately 1 in 5 of the copies to ensure the things play in a set top player. This is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry...
That and a slow burn have ensured I've had no returns for over two years. (fingers crossed, touch wood just in case such a brave statement puts the mockers on my future work!)
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I generally only test one or 2 discs out of 5 as it just takes too long. Usually it is fine. I tell the clients (wedding couples) that if there is any problems to let me know and I will replace it without charge (if its a problem with the disc), unless its their player.

The majority of players that are used for SD DVDs seem to work fine. I test on my 2 computers and DVD player and PS2.
Matt Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Major Player

I test the disk in a player, jump to all menus, start playing all tracks and send it off, I have a replacement policy on all bad disks within 30 days. Gives them enough time to find things, After that I will replace a disk if they give me the old one back and it is in good shape visually. I have had people who have had my disks for 4 years and they work great but come about 4 years and they just seems to be really picky in DVD players. My guess is the ink on the DVDs are fading. Eitherway I happily burn them a new copy provided they give me the bad one back. Only had to do that twice and both disks were over 4 years old and were clean from scratches.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center