Forum Renaming Request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old April 8th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New section

Chris,

Maybe you can create a new section in the forums for Video over the Web?

Video for Internet

Or something, I don't think you would need to break it down to QuickTime, Windows Media, and REAL just yet. I just think as more and more people want to see their weddings, or family events over the net questions are going to arise. We might want to add a few more discussions on how to get the best video and compression for use over the net.

Best regards,
James
James Rulison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd like to see this to. And or if anyone has a good resource primer on the subject I'd like to hear about it.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

Try these

Rob very kindly found these sites in response to my question 'Downloading' in the TOTEM forum; they are very useful if you are looking for live web streaming, or don't know where to start:

Real: http://www.realnetworks.com/products/media_delivery.html
Quicktime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/ (mac only?)
Windows Media: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/distribute/hosting.asp

I don't know about a dedicated video web forum at the moment (not many people asking those types of questions yet), but would see its benefits in the future.

All the best,

Ed
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

It's an appealing suggestion. A buddy of mine in Boston is something of an expert in this category; I'll see if he's up for giving us a hand with this, and then we'll "make it so." Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Roger that -- seems like all the required pieces are falling together. Thanks,

Old April 18th, 2002, 04:43 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Working up the necessary goods for this, plus how about a Film Look from DV section as well.

Old April 18th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #7
Wrangler

Film Look

Speaking of film look, I have seen the most convincing home-brewed film look. A local filmmaker named Jason Tomaric shot a shoestring budget scifi epic (called "One") with a SONY VX-1000 and later a JVC DV-500. He recently gave me the privilege of previewing some of the new scenes, and the footage is really something to drool over, considering its prosumer origination. Great filmlook! He keeps its origins and workings a trade secret--all he'll tell me is that it takes about 20 minutes to process a 5-minute segment.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

He'll probably be using color correction with some of the film-look
plugins available. Sounds like it must be that.

Film-look section would be great Chris! How about a news
section where you can post interesting new things and/or
links to news etc. regarding DV. News fragments are now
scattered all over the forums. Oh... and you know I'm still
waiting on that other forum, don't you? :)

Cheers!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 03:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Chris,

I was wondering what the final verdict was I know you were looking to get someone to monitor it, but I didn't know if you got a response back.

Best,
James
James Rulison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 09:42 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

We're there! I've recruited my good friend and fellow tradeshow warrior-veteran Adam Brooks from the Boston area to moderate and assist with the goings-on around here. Adam is a new media consultant whose clients include Canon USA and Media 100. He was the force behind the "I Can Stream" program from about a year ago and is well equipped to handle these types of discussion topics. Fire away!

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:40 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Chris, you and your crew are amazing...

I spent over an hour yesterday fooling around with different QT settings, none of which I was satisfied with. I am trying to deliver a 3 minute video that is my first editing project to the web. I decided this morning to visit my compadres at DV-INFO to see what they have to say on the subject, and lo and behold here is an entire, brand new forum on the subject.

I am about to devour it all, but I first wanted to thank you. I am also thanking you by directing all of my DV purchases, present and future, to your sponsors.
Old May 25th, 2002, 01:16 PM   #12
Wrangler

Re: Try these

<<<-- I don't know about a dedicated video web forum at the moment (not many people asking those types of questions yet), but would see its benefits in the future -->>>

I guess I will just have to eat my words!!!

I think now, this will be a valuable message board, and since I'm just getting into web streaming this will be a great resource.

Cheers Chris,

All the best,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #13
Air China Pilot

Clipstream Video

I've been on this board for the past few weeks looking for DV camera suggestions but didn't notice this section until today and thought I should mention that I work for a streaming video technology company that produces a Java-based playerless solution called Clipstream.

I don't want to be complete huckster but people can check it out at http://www.clipstream.com

The advantage of our technology is that it is playerless, relying only Java and doesn't need any special servers to host the video. This will probably mean something to people who don't have time, equipment or money to set up a special streaming server for their movies.

Also, one market we are pushing is to send video through email, which is pretty easy using our technology. We've already done this for Lions Gate (Shadow of the Vampire) and Revolution (Black Hawk Down).

I think this has potential for guerilla, indie and low budget filmmakers to get some mindshare. Providing you are careful about spamming people, some may be interested to get trailers in their mail. Since it's streaming, it isn't that much heavier than normal email.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 01:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

How about starting a DVD authoring forum?

Now that DVD-R drives have become affordable, I'm sure many of you out there are, or soon will be, making your own DVDs. So...how about having a forum dedicated to DVD authoring? I think it would be cool to share experiences with different brands of media, bit rates, authoring techniques, DVD-R compatible players, etc. Anyone interested?
Old August 7th, 2002, 05:33 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

I suppose we could fold it in with the web video delivery forum and change the title to suit both purposes.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center