PAL to PAL-M? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PAL to PAL-M?

Hi everyone.
I'm in PAL land and I've been asked to make a wedding video in Brasil, but i found they use a different system called PAL-M. It seems it's PAL but 60HZ, 29,97fps and 525 lines (seems more like NTSC). See it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M
According to that link, it's a hard conversion. Any clues how to do this?

Thanks,

L.R.
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Beats the snot out of me, but you may be working this the long way around.

Based upon your Wikipedia link, PAL-M is identical to NTCS except for the color carrier which won't matter for your shooting since you'll be shooting standard PAL. You could try chasing a conversion in post to PAL-M or you can try to find out what standards contemporary TVs and DVD players support in Brazil. This might be a lot easier.

From what I've read, many modern PAL TVs and DVD players also support NTSC. In the US, very few TVs and DVDs support PAL. I have no clue as to what the sets and players support in Brazil. However, I doubt the major movie studios have a DVD production line dedicated to a corner-case standard like PAL-M. More likely is that the Brazilian DVD players support the playback of another standard. My guess is NTSC, but we'll need input from our Brazilian bretheren.

If they support a conversion from standard PAL, then you're golden. If it's NTSC, it gets a bit more complex but your NLE can likely handle it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.
Hope some Brazilian step by DVINFO.
Brasileiros deste site, ajudem-me!

L.R.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If it's on DVD, just shoot NTSC and burn a 60 Hz disc. The component output will be 525/60, which is exactly what you want. The PAL color sub-carrier encoding for the composite output will be integrated into the DVD player's hardware.

Not that I'm from Brazil, though I will travel to Sao Paolo (first time) in a few months.

If your DVD Player and TV can't handle an NTSC DVD, test the result using a software player, such as Nero or Power DVD.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A Brazilian told me PAL-M is only used in broadcast, and the DVD system there is NTSC.
Can anyone confirm this?
This would be a good thing, because i assume a PAL to NTSC conversion would be much easier.

L.R.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi, I live in brazil and can confirm its NTSC here. Shoot and burn NTSC no doubt
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Hi, I live in brazil and can confirm its NTSC here. Shoot and burn NTSC no doubt

Thanks a lot Dan. Problem solved.
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center