idvd performs better than dvdsp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

idvd performs better than dvdsp

I have tried authoring a 75 min project using compressor and dvdsp and I get this strange pulsing pixelation in certain shots. I author the same project in idvd, I don't get any pulsing, but in the last 10 minutes of the project, I get pixelation on playback.

I have a deadline tomorrow and I'm ready to throw my new macbookpro out the window. I have made numerous tests, using default settings and custom settings, used various disk brands, and still I can't seem to manage the simple task of authoring a 75 min dvd.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this pulsing?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Found out that this could be a problem with GOP settings when using compressor. Lowering the GOP setting can reduce the pulsing effect in shots that have a lot of noise or not much happening (eg a shot tracking a walker in a forest)

for a 75 min project

It takes about 7 hrs to do a dvd via fcp, compressor, jes deinterlacer and dvdsp

and about 4 hr with idvd

and idvd had no pulsing pixelation (but the whole vid turned to mush at about the 45 min mark!!

Will play ok on my laptop, but put it in a dvd player, and it becomes a pixelated mess after 45 mins.

Can't work that one out?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Major Player

FWIW, I never use iDVD, and I never use DVD SP to compress assets. I've always had excellent success with BitVice for video compression, and Compressor for audio (AC3). Not only do the results speak for themselves, but renders go faster, too, harnessing all processors to their fullest. It seems like a steep price to pay for a one-trick pony, but considering how many DVDs I make a year, BitVice more than pays for itself in time and results.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center