What should I do when I create a slideshow to avoid flickering edges/lines? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old August 27th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #1
Major Player

What should I do when I create a slideshow to avoid flickering edges/lines?

Hi,

I Recently created some slideshows using Vegas. Just dropped about a 100 pics on the time line and added a default transition and a music track. So far so good ;-)

When I view it on a TV set, all sharp edges and lines flickers.... can I reduce this somehow? Should I "interpret footage" ? Deinterlace? something else?

As always, all your input is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Lazze Z

Sweden
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A progressive scan TV set or DVD player would take care of this in
your home. As for other homes, you'll need to soften your edges and reduce the magnitude of interframe motion. Horizontal lines need to cover at least three scan lines to avoid the worst flickering on an interlaced display. That means that your image edge features should be at least three pixels high. Even if your
image features are that wide, some titling will still have jagged edges that will flicker, though it's not as bad as a long horizontal line. You'll need to blend, anti-alias, whatever your features.
This will yield somewhat fuzzy edges, but the flickering will be less noticeable. If you can manage to reduce contrast of the edges relative to the background, the flickering will also be less apparent.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

u can also seelct to "reduce interlace flicker" within vegas

or run a blend field routine thru the render as mentioned
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Progressive Scan TV? I have a Philips 32" Widescreen 100 hz TV, that should be progressive ( or at least hold-scan )... but it flickers alot ...

Will try with some antialiasing and reduce interlace flicker the next time!

Just bought some DVD -R medias real cheap here in sweden 11 SEK ( 1.30$ ) - bought 25 on a spindle!

Have a great weekend!

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center