Playing MP2's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Playing MP2's?

Hi, not sure if this post is in the right area but here goes....

I filmed an advert for someone and asked them to put it on CD and send it to me. They have done so but it's an Mp2 file. Someone has written on the disk 'MP2 (VIDEO)'.
My laptop has Quicktime which just says a software something or other is missing and in Media Player it says 'Error' when trying to load codecs. I know it worked on someones pc tho using media player.
Anyone know what I need to do or download to get it to work?
Much appreciated.
Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's probably an MPEG2 file, but Media Player may be getting confused because .mp2 is the extension for MPEG1 Layer II audio, a close relative to mp3. Try renaming the file to .mpeg or .mpg and see if it works better. The other likely possibility is you just don't have any mpeg2 decoders (codecs) on your system for Media Player or Quicktime (that would be what quicktime was complaining about missing). Try grabbing the latest codec pack from MS or Apple.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, thanx for the reply.

I tried renaming but it didnt work.
After codec error it plays a cut up version of the music but instead of the advert visually it just plays 'ambient' instead. A sort of blue flame type thing.
I'd never even heard of codecs so i'll try loading some from Microsoft
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Download some codecs sounded easier than it is.

I fristly checked i have the latest media player so i downloaded media player 9.
then i downloaded 'windows media video vcm setup application' and 'WM9codecs'. once downloaded i clicked on them and pressed install which it said it'd done.
loaded the file up again and it still said the same.
it seems to try and retrieve codecs in media player but after 3 goes says error. it then loads the music but too quickly and jerky and theres no visual.
can anyone help me locate what im supposed to load please as ive seen it work on someone elses machine but just cant get it workin on mine,

thanx
Old September 21st, 2003, 02:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you want to play mpeg-2 in quicktime you have to buy the playback component:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/

HTH

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That Quicktime option might have to be done however,

does anyone know why two different computers can play it in windows media player yet on mine it still asks for codecs? ive tried downloading stuff (meaning: attempts at downloading codecs), upgrading media player to version 9 and it still doesnt work. i downloaded DivX but that didnt work either.

Anyone know how I can get it to work in windows media player? if i download media player, do i still need to find these codecs?

any help would b great.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just wondering out loud. If I can get it to work on my mates laptop, could he then rewrite it onto another cd in another format?
is this possible?
Old September 23rd, 2003, 07:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Cleaner can open mp2(this is not mpeg-2 by the way) and encode to another format.

http://www.s-typy.com/videoviewer.html Should help you to read the file.
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...s/besweet.html can convert the file.

Look at the tools here for more help, loads of tools & advice:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Try Windows Media Player v.6.4 also.

HTH

Jake

Oh and maybe try changing the extention to mov or mpg or something cause I know that works for something but can't remember what right now as Lingo scripts are making my mind fuzzy.... maybe that was vob to mov... hmmmm worth a try if all else fails I guess.
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok, ive tried downloading various software from the websites you provided, cheers for that. I couldnt get any of them to play my cd tho. or the file when placed off my cd and on to my HD.

Another mates lapton played it fine. In the same media player as I have?
On his, media player loads and straight away says 'playing'.
on my sisters it says something like 'media changing' or something similar and it plays.

Mine Windows Media Player loads up and in the bottom left of the screen it reads:

'Opening media' then....
'connecting to codec server'
'sending request for codec...'
'connecting...' etc 5 times or so and then says
'Error downloading codec'.

It then plays the audio of the file but too quickly and the 'visualization: Ambiece: Niagara' plays.

Ive tried downloading codecs, and various players. i dont understand why my media player cant play it but all others can
Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I suggest you read this link (good rollup of issues with Codecs and Windows, how to find one that you're missing):

http://www.updatexp.com/codec-for-wi...-player-9.html

Short of that (or in addition to), go get the GSpot "codec information appliance" and point it at your mystery movie. It should tell you the codec you need to get to play it (which apparently your sister's and friend's computers already have).

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for that Brian,

I downloaded the gspot option (thought u were joking at first) and it seems to list some audio details but no video options.

On render it says 'partial failure.' It says click for details so when I do it says:

The actual text of the error or warning is: 'lists a big file number/letter thing and says 'some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format'.

The following combination of filters were used:

It lists four and they are audio based. Audio source, audio splitter, audio decoder and audio renderer.'

I really appreciate your help. I apologise for being so awful with computers, just downloadin gspot is quite an achievement for me but now ive got this program telling me partial error, what do i do
with it?

edit: im presumin where it says 'codec: n.a; - this is where it should list the codec i need to play it?
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Just to update. I installed windows media player 9 for xp. i then downloaded the codecs for it. it still doesnt play and searches for codecs.

i also tried the download of wmp 6.4 as someone suggested but sadly once downloaded, it doesnt work. it say something about 'The version of WMP is not currently supported on Microsoft windows 2000 (i have xp?). A version will b made available at a later date.'
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:34 AM   #13
Major Player

I find that PowerDVD will play mp2 files fine.

Try using powerDVD, u can download a free demo, just do a google search.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey man, cheers for the advice. I'm going loopy trying to figure this out.
Sadly, I have powerdvd and it doesnt play it. It says 'A disc with an unsupported format in drive d:'

edit: dont know if this helps but before i move the cd's files onto my desktop, the 'properties' are listed as:

Smart 1.mp2
Type of file: Movie File (mpeg).
Attributes: 'Read only' is ticked.
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

We already know your computer has the right audio codecs, because that's what does play. So we want to examine the video codecs this file is using.

Load the file back into GSpot. Before doing anything else, look in the top right corner ("Video") and note the "4CC" value. If this is an mpeg(1) file GSpot will not show anything in the video corner and should show the type as mpeg of some kind, but I don't think it is MPEG. So let's just proceed with the assumption that it's something else, like divx or xvid. I'm not sure if it shows you the codec name next to it if the codec is not installed on your computer. If it does have a name displayed, just post that back here, or do a search on Google for it and you may find a download site. If it doesn't list a name, look it up in the database by picking the View menu->Codec Database->Video. Then lookup the 4CC code for this file in the database, and report back what the name of the codec is.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center