FTP web hosting for video files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

FTP web hosting for video files

Hi, I'm not sure whether i'm posting this in the right forum but here goes:

I'm trying to get very large video files transfered through FTP and my hosting service (Server Sea) shut me down and deleted all my 5GB of video file uploads because it violated their no tolerance policy regarding multimedia content on their site (even thought I have like 300 GB of web storage available!

Anyway, so now I'm stuck! I've lost all my files and I need to quickly find another hosting service that will allow me to store massive amounts of video data and access them through FTP.

Any ideas for the best and most cost effective way to do this?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
my hosting service (Server Sea) shut me down and deleted all my 5GB of video file uploads because it violated their no tolerance policy regarding multimedia content on their site...
Wow! That's so 20th century of them.

If the files are legally yours, nearly any hosting service will do. Just shop around for the best plan for your use case.

If the files aren't legally yours, then most delete them when they find them.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Trustee

I've hosted videos on 1and1.com for years. Never had a problem.

Just be sure you read the terms of service. If they say no multimedia files, then don't upload them.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. The thing is that I really do need to store/transfer video files (all original content), that's basically why I need the web space in the first place! How else can I get these files transfered?
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

One of the best things going for this sort of application is Amazon Web Services - their Simple Storage Service. It's billed as a "developer"-level service, but storage and download for a fee is what they do! If you're not a web developer, you may need to find one to properly secure and access your content.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)

There are some 3rd-party services that run on top of S3, one of them may be an easier approach than developing your own. I don't have a referral...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center