Any way to "accurately" calibrate a PC monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old June 13th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Any way to "accurately" calibrate a PC monitor?

Ok, so I want to put a short film or something up on the web. Lately, I've been tweaking the files I upload specifically for the web, instead of just leaving them how I wanted them for film fests etc. How do I know that what I see on my computer monitor will be anywhere close to what anyone else sees? Is there some method for calibrating a PC monitor to be more "accurate"? I put that in quotes because I know that everyone's monitor is set differently, blah blah blah. . .but is there at least some way to get closer than basically just guessing? I tried the method for calibrating SEMPTE bars a long time ago, and since some of the types of control you'd have an NTSC production monitor aren't even present on my computer monitor, that didn't work.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #2
Warden

Yes, computer monitors can be calibrated for a color space, such as the web. While there is no official color space for the web, sRGB is the de-facto standard for web media. You would need to calibrate your monitor and use sRGB as the working space. Then create your videos in a color aware program, with sRGB as your working space within the program. It is almost impossible to calibrate a monitor by eye, so hardware is used for the accurate calibration of computer monitors. A tool such as a Spyder could be used. This would probably be overkill for your needs.

I don't know if PC's have monitor calibration built into the OS like Macs or not. There may be third party software as well. I know XP is color aware so you may be able to poke around in the control panels and find some monitor calibration. If you have any Adobe software, the program install usually installs Adobe Gamma which can be used to calibrate your monitor by eye.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Interesting. I will look into it. Thanks.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #4

Adobe Gamma is really pretty worthless software. The still image calibration technology used by professional photographers offers a well developed approach to color monitor calibration via spectrophotometers or spectrodensitometers. I use a Greatag-Macbeth system for my CRT display. It works quite well for calibrating my monitor so it agrees with my color prints. The issue for videographers is to calibrate a monitor for an NTSC monitor. As has been overly documented in this forum, the best procedure, here, is to use an NTSC monitor in dual display mode with your video card.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

Explain?

I wasn't look to purchase any sort of gizmo, gadget or device to do this. . .I thought maybe there was a simple set of instructions or something.
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Warden

Bill, he wants to make video for the web, to be viewed on computer monitors in the sRGB color space. NTSC monitors would not be the best or most accurate choice to preview work for the web.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #7

ahhh, yes, I see.
sRGB is the best route for web presentation, as you said, jeff. i'd still use calib hardware such as Monaco or Gretag-Macbeth for better repeatability. There's absolutely no telling what most web viewers do to cal their monitors. Adobe gamma, even if used, tends to be very subjective. I think WYZIwyg may be even more popular than Adobe Gamma for the average user.
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Warden

I'm glad you have some software suggestions for the PC other than Adobe Gamma. Being a Mac user I'm not familiar with what is available for PC's. Thanks.

Old June 14th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Are any of these methods super-cheap, or free for download from somewhere?
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #10

http://www.praxisoft.com/

I beleive it's free.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #11
Slash Rules!

Thanks! Yes, it is free. I downloaded the WYSIWYG program, and it seems to do something. . .now to see if everything looks radically different than it did before.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ignore this post

It's free? Can you post the URL for that? Maybe I'm getting old, but I couldn't find a free download link anywhere on the praxisoft site!

OK found it!!

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center