DVD+R DL Finally Reasonably Priced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old August 18th, 2004, 06:54 AM   #1
Trustee

DVD+R DL Finally Reasonably Priced

Well, not great, but you can get Ritek's now for about $10 a disk, and Verbatim's for not much more than that.

What amazes me is how cheap the drives are. You can get a Sony DL drive now for about $80 at newegg.com.

Given that, has anyone started using DL, and have you been having good experiences?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Interesting. Do you know if they have DVD-R? Supposedly these work with more DVD players..
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Trustee

DVD-R is not yet available in dual layer, though I know that the manufacturers have successfully made it, just haven't finalized or mass produced it yet, or the drives.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Trustee

peter, where are you finding the ritek DVD+DL? my usual sources don't even have the verbatim yet in mass volume.

and also when do ya'll think the 100 PCS spindles will be available? that's what i'm waiting for... =).
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Trustee

newegg.com has the riteks. They're also on ebay.

Odd that the spindles aren't out yet. I'm waiting for the inkjet printable ones. :) They might not do spindles until the price is much lower, not sure. People might not want to pay $500 for a spindle.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Trustee

thx Peter, found it on newegg.com. i just wished the 100 PCS would come out soon. i've had 2 DVD+DL writers for 3 months!!! and they already have 4x DVD+DL writers but NO MEDIA for it yet!!! what the heck is going? while we're there 12x DVD-/+R is already out as well!
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #7
Trustee

It was awhile before DL discs were at all available, after the drives came out. Something has to come first, the Chicken or the Egg. :)
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #8
Major Player

So what is the probability that these things will actually work in most DVD players?

Also, I assume since we have dual layer discs that they hold somewhere around 8gigs of data? How much is actually usable?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center