basic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Major Player

basic questions

So to create DVDs, I'll need:

1) a burner

2) encoding software

3) authoring software

4) burner software

Questions-

will any burner and burner software be able to handle a complicated DVD creation, like multilple menus and extras?

I've heard that "TMPGenc Plus" is a good encoder and "DVDit" is a good authoring program. What's a good "burner" software? or more to the point, are there any to avoid?

Do you encode BEFORE you author, or visa versa?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

For burning, it will be hard to find any better than Nero. Very reliable and full featured.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
will any burner and burner software be able to handle a complicated DVD creation, like multilple menus and extras?
That's not a problem. The burning software just records to disk whatever file(s) the authoring software makes. Usually it's an .img file. Note that you might not need to get burning software, as some (if not all) low to midrange authoring software can burn disks themselves.

Quote:
Do you encode BEFORE you author, or visa versa?
I encode to MPEG-2 from within my editing program. It's just easier and saves the time of exporting to an avi and then encoding. Others do it differently. It's basically your preference.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Major Player

so "encoding" simply means converting to mpeg-2?

Can I use my Premiere software to save my project as mpeg-2, and then go directly into an authoring program?

Is the quality of "encoding" this way as good as using a high end encoder?

do you know if DVDit allows you to "burn" a DVD without using a program like Nero?

And what about higher end, multi channel audio - A3, I think it's called. would I need a special program to do that?

thanks again!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Premiere is ok at encoding, but for really high quality, you'll want to spend some money on a pro encoder, like Canopus or similar product. Not to mention, they'll encode faster than Premiere alone can.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
so "encoding" simply means converting to mpeg-2?
Yes.
Quote:
Can I use my Premiere software to save my project as mpeg-2, and then go directly into an authoring program?
Is the quality of "encoding" this way as good as using a high end encoder?
Yes, again. The quality depends on the encoder. From what I understand the quality of the MainConcept encoder included in Premiere Pro is pretty good. I'm not sure you'd get much better using a program like Canopus ProCoder. When Premiere Pro encodes it actually bypasses it's own rendered preview files and goes back to the source files for maximum quality.
Quote:
do you know if DVDit allows you to "burn" a DVD without using a program like Nero?
According to the features list (http://www.sonic.com/products/dvdit/features.asp) it can.
Quote:
And what about higher end, multi channel audio - A3, I think it's called. would I need a special program to do that?
First of all, your editing program would need to support mixing surround sound 5.1 audio. Premiere Pro does. Secondly, you need a Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder. Premiere Pro includes one from a third party company, but you only get three or five free encodes, and then you have to shell out $300 to get unlimited encodes.

I believe DVDit can encode to stereo Dolby Digital, which is all most people need, anyway, and gives you more space for video.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center