XL2 for LIVE Internet Broadcasts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old May 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 for LIVE Internet Broadcasts

I'm involved with "MIBS", for "Mobile Internet Broadcasting System."
We're planning on using the XL2 to record archieval footage, plus any live broadcasts.
My problem is...how do I maintain the same high quality picture for both?
Will I be able to have the same look/feel in our live broadcasts as seen in canned/archieval footage?
Our remote broadcasts will be sent to our webpage via satelite. I was told by the folks at surfnetwork, a possible host for our operation, that we'd need a uplink speed of between 250-500kbps to keep a high quality picture/sound.
Starband, a satelite provider, offers up to 256kbps. Will this be enough to keep our live/canned visuals the same?
Another possibility is with Narrowsteps' new "TV-Station-in-a-Box" which was released last month. They recquire a T-1 connection at the home base, which is connected 24/7. Will my satelite feed be degraded in any way when sent to our host computer, or can it be cleaned up on our end with their hosting software?
I haven't been able to get the feedback I need from these folks.
Anybody out there using a XL2 for a webcam?
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

Charles Rignola
Burney, CA
Charles Rignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Disregard Starband. That's not a viable solution for what you're doing.

I've been a Starband subscriber for several years, and let me tell ya, that 256kbps spec they're quoting is strictly a best-case scenario for download only. Their upload speeds are nowhere near as fast. Also, if you're mobile, you'll need to constantly re-point the dish from one locale to the next, and that's not possible without hiring or becoming a licensed Starband technician. Good luck finding one to hire; they're fairly rare. Becoming one is an expensive and lengthy process. So my suggestion is to rule out that option.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Yeah, you're right. Starband ain't gonna cut it.
But maybe I can go in at a different angle.

Maybe we could broadcast at a slower speed, kbps wise, and broadcast over one of those Internet video channels and link it to our page.

Another option would be to go to video surveillance system for the actual "mobile" shots. LiveWave's "FirstView RoverCam" shoots video, but not dv. The video is encoded at 640x480 30fps M-JPEG stream.

Maybe with a faster lens I could get even a better picture, to start out with.
But it's STILL gonna be at 640X480...how could I make THAT sharper?
But that's just for the totally mobile application. I just want the picture quality of the live mobile shots to be as equal as I can get them to the XL2's live and canned footage.

(...maybe I should change the name to, "EL CHEAPO PRODUCTIONS"...)
Charles Rignola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center