Recording a presenter and her slides at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old February 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording a presenter and her slides

I'm tasked with recording a speaker and her presentation slides (powerpoint). I know there are products out there that will allow me to take the video and set it alongside the slides in a final package that can be distributed on the web....but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the application or even what it would be referred to as a search term.

Can someone please point me in the correct direction. What I'm looking for in the end product is half screen of the person speaking and half of their slides.

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

You've got a couple options.

Hardware like Sonic Foundry's MediaSite can handle this job...

Otherwise I typically use Camtasia to grab the slide show, and a video camera to grab the presenter...then edit to taste.

I'm sure there are other methods as well.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

it is very easy to save a PP as still images and then insert them in the video

if your NLE supports wmf images, use them, they are vector based and give the best quality inside a video
PowerPoint slides to Edius Non-Linear Editor Conversion
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both. I think I may try importing the slides into Final cut and doing it that way by adding the speaker as a picture-in-picture
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Strauss View Post
it is very easy to save a PP as still images and then insert them in the video
While I agree with this, and have done it this way, if you are shooting the presenter in such a way that you can't see the powerpoint screen in the video (because of composition or exposure), you'll have to guess where the slides go in the edit.

While that often isn't difficult, if you're not familiar with the content, you could end up with areas where you are uncertain.

Also, with the PPT captured as Camtasia video, you drop it in and sync it and you're not really making any slide-by-slide edits. For a long presentation with lots of slides, it could save significant edit time.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

I typically shoot conferences with two cameras, one wide and one close-up. Most of the time it is the CU that will be used in the finished video, but the wide camera is very handy for knowing when the speaker has switched to a new slide and which one you are currently on.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Major Player

The people at TED publish decent suggestion list for recording presentations regarding the camera work.

This can be seen here: TED-Recording Your Presentations
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
While I agree with this, and have done it this way, if you are shooting the presenter in such a way that you can't see the powerpoint screen in the video (because of composition or exposure), you'll have to guess where the slides go in the edit.

While that often isn't difficult, if you're not familiar with the content, you could end up with areas where you are uncertain.

Also, with the PPT captured as Camtasia video, you drop it in and sync it and you're not really making any slide-by-slide edits. For a long presentation with lots of slides, it could save significant edit time.
Seems that I tried converting PP to a string of images and importing into PPro, but I found the string of images substituted hard cuts for the various transitions. Could remember wrong though.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish View Post
Seems that I tried converting PP to a string of images and importing into PPro, but I found the string of images substituted hard cuts for the various transitions. Could remember wrong though.
I'm sure you remember correctly...converting a PPT to a series of still images would not save any of the transitions...or the "reveal" effects either. They're simply images at that point.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center