LG BD530 Blu Ray player will play MPEG 4 files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Major Player

LG BD530 Blu Ray player will play MPEG 4 files

I bought a couple of LG BD 530 Blu Ray players for Christmas to give to family members.

LG BD530 Video Players - Blu-ray but Better - LG Electronics US

The beauty of these things is that they only cost $79 and can play all types of other HD media via the USB port, Flash drive and DVD-R.

It's not a bad way to enjoy one's finished HD video projects without having to worry about authoring etc.

The ability to playback Blu-ray movies is a bonus.

I ordered another for myself, but so far it seems pretty solid.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Couple observations:

The BD530 player is picky about file extensions. If you have a quicktime workflow, .h264 files have to be named .mp4 or .mpg, .mpeg and then burned to a DVD-R.

.MOV will not work. The player will not see it.

Portable USB hard drives are not going to work. I think it draws too much power. Thumbdrives and flash drives are your best bet.

It will NOT play the raw .mov files from your Canon DSLR, whether you rename it not.

So far, I'm happy with this thing, with its limitations. The ability to hand HD files on a DVD-R and have easy playback is amazing.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
The ability to playback Blu-ray movies is a bonus.
:-)

Heheh... Yes, and the ability to play back any old random video file has been something I've long enjoyed about the Playstation 3. It's good to know there are some less-expensive alternatives now that allow the same thing. For home movies, it's been great to just be able to edit and then toss them (in loose file form) onto a DVD-RW or BD-RE and play them that way. Really cuts down on disc costs!

Best,
Aaron
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Will the PS3 play HD files from a DVD-R?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
Will the PS3 play HD files from a DVD-R?
Yes indeed, and I have made many such discs. Just beware the bandwidth constraints of DVD. While I have frequently thrown raw 24Mbit/s .m2ts files from my NX5 directly onto DVD-RWs and had them play just fine, fast-forwarding through these clips occasionally causes the PS3 to stop and report an error reading from the disc. This never happens with lower-bitrate material, such as the 16Mbit/s .m2ts files from my CX12, and has never happend with either when placed on BD-REs. Not too surprising.

Best,
Aaron
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Major Player

After a couple days playing with this thing, I've become quite ambivalent about it. It is finicky. Files created h.264 compression play fine...but some MPEG2, transport streams burned on discs do not.

I've burnt too may coasters this week.

I'm glad I still have my Western Digital HD player and my Network media tank.
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
After a couple days playing with this thing, I've become quite ambivalent about it. It is finicky. Files created h.264 compression play fine...but some MPEG2, transport streams burned on discs do not.

I've burnt too may coasters this week.

I'm glad I still have my Western Digital HD player and my Network media tank.
If the transport streams aren't Blu-ray- or DVD-compliant, it really shouldn't be *too* much of a surprise when they don't play. Of course, I don't know what you've tried. Certainly, if you're making the files yourself, it would be safest to stick with the Blu-ray or DVD presets in whatever app you're using. HDV, something many of us have a lot of, is not Blu-ray-compliant. A few players seem to play it just fine. Others don't. And they're under no obligation to.

So don't be *too* hard on your new LG! :)

Best,
Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center