Sticky labels on blu-ray disks... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Sticky labels on blu-ray disks...

From what I understand sticky labels work better on CDs than DVDs. Apparently this is because the tolerances for CDs are not as strict as DVDs so a warped CD is more likely to be readable than an equally warped DVD. I suspect blu-ray tolerances are stricter than DVD, however I think the material a blu-ray disk is made of is also less prone to warping.

Does anyone have experience with sticky labels on blu-ray disks?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sticky labels on blu-ray disks...

I would just say stay away with sticky labels at all cost. Technology advances and there're printable BDs out there. I wouldn't chance ruining anything with sticky labels on disk.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Eric,

It really has nothing to do with "warping". It has to do with the label unbalancing the disc. Sticky labels can also "unstick" and get gummy and destroy the insides of a DVD player. They can also be problematic with the very thin slots some CD players (usually in cars, it seems) where they won't even fit. So I agree wholeheartedly - no sticky labels, period!

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Are there any slot loading blu-ray players?

Update: I just searched and I there are! So the possibility of slot loading seems to be enough reason to avoid sticky labels. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the replies.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Unbalancing the disk

Rob's comment about the label unbalancing the disk is very likely. If the burned track is really narrow, and I suspect it is in order to get all that information on there, then even the slightest unbalancing could easily cause problems.

If one must use a label then the best way to do is is to print the label and attach it to the disk THEN burn the disk. At least this way if the disk is unbalanced, and it probably is, then the burning would be, - don't know how to say this - recognizing the unbalanced disk and playback should be along the same or similar lines.

The above MAY help. In any event it should be better than attaching the label after burning.

Until I get something like a LightScribe I'm just using a pen that writes on plastic.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I bought these Falcon BD media with watershield glossy look. They look amazing. just like those JVC/TY watershield glossy DVDs. I wouldn't bother to stick any labels on BD

Falcon Media Pro Watershield Glossy BD-R Media | L.A. Color Online Blog
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

+1 for the falcon media bluray discs.
Very high quality.
John
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Trustee

Unbalancing the disc is correct. However, if one MUST have a label then put it on the disc BEFORE burning it. This way, at least, there will be a little less Unbalancing.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Major Player

OK. I know this thread is 3 years old, but just to spice things up...
IIRC the issue with using labels on a DVD is that once adhered to the DVD,
the label will shrink and expand with the humidity. Of course if the label shrinks while adhered,
it will definitely warp the disc.

The last box of 100 labels I bought, before I got a Disk Printer, had 100 CD labels, and 10 DVD labels
The DVD labels had more of a Mylar finish, rather than a paper finish.
Presumably they did not absorb humidity.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center