Is option for +R burning useful? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 25th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is option for +R burning useful?

I might be buying a stand alone direct tape to DVD burner. Some burn DVD-R but not +R, others have the option to burn both. I can't think of any use for the +R format, except for one client I have who still uses an older model DVD player that only plays +R.

Have any of you come across situations where you need the option to burn +R format? If I buy one to accomodate this one client's need for a couple DVD+R transfers from tape, I'm trying to estimate if I might have other situations come up where I'd need to burn +R format.

I've already ordered a used burner that does not burn +R, so just wondering if I should get a second one for various formats.

This is just for those situations requiring direct tape to DVD. I use my computer, and DVD Studio Pro for making -R and +R DVDs from anything needing to be put on my hard drive for other work, editing, etc.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

From what I've reserached but not yet personally-verified, there is apparently a "book type" option available for the +R format that makes it more compatible than the -R format. This book-type field apparently makes the DVD+R appear to be a DVD-ROM, at least format-wise. Most people seem to gloss over the compatibility issue, but in the last year, I've had two situations in which DVD-Rs just don't read. Maximum compatibility is important to me.

Does your standalone DVD recorder set the book-type field ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=...Does your standalone DVD recorder set the book-type field ?[/QUOTE]

The DVD standalone recorder I recently purchased does not burn +R, so it would not have "book type" option. My internal burner on my G5 can burn both +R or -R, so at least I can do the +R when I have the very rare request to do so (eg., thus far just one client whose set top player only plays +R).

+R's won't play in G4 Macs and earlier, so I haven't found from experience that they are more widely compatible if we include computer playability in the mix.

I see some (not all) current standalone DVD burners offering both +R and -R burning with the same unit and that made me wonder if there's a compelling reason for the +R that I may not have encountered yet.

So far all my DVD's have been burned to -R (Verbatim media) on my Mac via DVD Studio Pro, and so far, no compatibility issues - in fact I believe it played fine on a client's p.c.

However, I would not be surprised if I encounter some compatibility issues when I start using my recently purchased standalone recorder for certain simple projects, only because these burners are designed for home use.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
I see some (not all) current standalone DVD burners offering both +R and -R burning with the same unit and that made me wonder if there's a compelling reason for the +R that I may not have encountered yet.
There is no compelling reason to use one format over the other. A few older DVD players will only load DVDs that have the DVD-ROM booktype, which can only be set on a DVD+R disc. Still, the real-world compatibility of the DVD-R format is slightly above DVD+R discs. I don't know if it is enough of a difference to be concerned with, but that is how the situation is right now.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; July 31st, 2006 at 09:57 AM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center