DLT to .img file problems, urgent!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old August 25th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #1
ChorizoSmells

DLT to .img file problems, urgent!!!

Using a HP SureStore 40 DLT and DVD SP3 and 10.39 OS and a G4 dual 1.25 drive to burn my DLT's. We sent 2 out and they were fine but the next one had only the audio and no video. We sent out the DLT drive and had it overhauled. I ordered another of the same model as a backup and I went to read a DLT and make an image file and the same thing happened.

No video but the audio is there and on the menus only the menu highlights were visible. I was reading the DLT's and making an image file to make sure it was recording the project to DLT properly. I look at the .vob files and the video is there. But is the project being properly put onto the DLT and I just can't see an image file from it? I view the image file on the Apple DVD player, I burn one to a dvd-r and it did the same thing, no video or menu but the audio was okay.

Is it possible to read the DLT and make an image file? I use DVD SP 3 to read and make the file.

I went out and bought a new SCSI card and a new cable but still the same problem.

I have been making 5 DLT's a month for the past two years and have had no problems, now I can't seem to get this thing fixed.

Hope you all can help me, I'm coming up to my deadline next week and I got another 5 DLT'S to burn, we will have to send out the projects on a DVD-R which is not the best way to release our DVD'S. Thanks.
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #2
ChorizoSmells

I burned the .img file to a dvd-r and it played ok so I'm guessing it must be an Apple DVD Player problem in reading that .img file made from a DLT.

The DVD-R I burned from that image file played ok in a windows computer and it played fine in a regular DVD player hooked up to a TV but that same dvd-r didn't play right on the Apple DVD player. I played in through a panther and a tiger G5, both had problems with that dvd-r.

I would still like someone else's feedback or if they have encountered something like this.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Wrangler

My guess is that the originating m2v in the project is corrupt.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4
ChorizoSmells

I made the .img files from an old DLT project that has already been replicated and from a new DLT that I have made since getting the fixed DLT Drive, both had the same problem.

I am going to send the newly made DLT out to the replication house to have it made into a dvd, the .img file I made from that DLT played okay once I burnned it to a DVD so I'm guessing the problem is fixed. If not I will hear back from the replication center that the DLT has a problem with the data.

I'll just read the DLT, burn the .img file to a DVD-R and play that on a set top dvd player and hopefully that can be my test to make sure the project was properly put on the DLT.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center