only video_ts no audio_ts?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Major Player

only video_ts no audio_ts??

I have a dvd that I made using a standalone recorder.(DVCAM master into Toshiba recorder.). it only has a video_ts folder on the disc. I have copied that to the hard drive and have burned duplicates that play without problem. will that trend continue? Is it because it was the standalone recorder adn not "authoring" software that created it?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

from what I understand the audio_ts folder on dvd's is always empty and is just there to ensure compatability with older players.
Old September 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Interesting. Think I should create one and put it on the disk then? I guess it couldn't hurt, right?
Thanks
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

No, it can't hurt, unless you use an illegal character in the folder name. Just make sure the folder's empty.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Wrangler

Some DVD players won't play a disk without an audio_ts folder. I've had to fix DVDs made without them made by other people so clients could play them.

It's always good practice to have it.
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, I've also fixed DVDs that wouldn't play on older players unless there was an AUDIO_TS, which has been invariably an empty folder. If you're worried about AUDIO_TS, then you also have to worry about setting the booktype to DVD-ROM with a DVD burner that allows that.

We're all surprised by the number of older DVD players. Earlier this year, I helped my friend make some DVDs of video we shot in Pakistan. The DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs didn't play on her Sony DVP-S7000 (which I now have in my room) as well as on her friend's DVD player. Amazing. I tried setting the booktype on a DVD+R to DVD-ROM and still no go.

I'm actually wondering if this player is too old and can't handle the reduced reflectivity of recordable DVDs due to its fading laser. Isn't there a difference ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Players can be finicky about what brand and type of media you use. In the case of the Sony DVP-S7000, which is an older player, several users have reported success with Memorex brand DVD+R, whereas the player will fail on other brands of +R. There's a pretty well visited user experience-based dvd compatibility database at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers where you can search a particular model number to see other users' reports.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks, I forgot all about that site. My friend used Memorex DVD+R, and I've tried TDK DVD+R and DVD-R, as well as Verbatim DVD+R DL. None of those worked on this particular Sony DVP-S7000 .
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
I'm actually wondering if this player is too old and can't handle the reduced reflectivity of recordable DVDs due to its fading laser. Isn't there a difference ?
It's true; pressed DVDs appear different to DVD players, and they have to be manufactured to be compatible with burned DVDs. Since the DVP-S7000 appears to be a relic from 1998, I am not surprised has caused you trouble. I would try burning at a low speed to ensure that the pits are as clean as possible.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center