Printable DVD+R: full hub *and* 16x at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 28th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Printable DVD+R: full hub *and* 16x

I'm currently printing on 16x TDK printable DVD+R at $0.20/disc, which is a deal available as a two-for-one purchase from CostCo from time to time. The TDK discs have a large hub which makes cover design quite challenging, especially when using a photo file.

Has anyone seen a good deal on reliable DVD+R media that is full-hub printable as well as 16x ? Many product descriptions don't include a picture of the disc, so I can only assume that if they're not featuring full-hub printing, the disc has that large clear hub.

Here are Verbatim (good media in my experience) 16x DVD+R at $0.61/disc on a 100 disc spindle :

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go...ta=1&s_cata=88
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Meritline now has Taiyo-Yuden 8X DVD+R Hub Printable for 43 cents per disc. I use Liggy's firmware (search at cdfreaks.com) on my NEC 3500a and 3550a. That will write at 16X on that media. But I usually stick with 8X. The Liggy firmware also allows changing the Booktype to DVD-ROM.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, George. I'll go for that Taiyo Yuden deal even though it is only 8x. I've never tried the Taiyo Yuden by name, and I forget which companie source from them. Your firmware hack is delicious, but I only have a BenQ DW1655 and a SATA Plextor PX-755A.

Man, I'm spoiled by the 16x write speeds even though the write verification is between 8x and 16x on my BenQ DW1655. I only have one system, so I still shouldn't do anything that might crash or pause the system during writing. Hence, the lust for 16x .
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Oh, and both the BenQ DW1655 and SATA Plextor PX-755A set the booktype of DVD+R (single and dual layer) to DVD-ROM. For DVD+RW, the BenQ set the booktype, but the Plextor does not. Plextor offers the explanation that setting booktype isn't in the standard for DVD+RW, you have to wonder about the writers of the standard.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center