DVDit pro 6 and Closed captioning? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Major Player

DVDit pro 6 and Closed captioning?

I use DVDit pro 6 and need to author some dvd's with Closed captioning. Is it Possible?

Sonic's support site is a joke and there's nothing about it in the software help menu.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Major Player

yes, it is possible to add closed captioning. I did it about a year ago and don't remember exactly, but you type up the closed captioning in a text editor and import it. there's a format you have to follow (sort of like HTML)

some info available here - http://www.dtvaccess.org

here's a sample text page to be inputed:

$DropFrame = TRUE
$TapeOffset = TRUE
$FontName = VERDANA
$FontSize = 18
$Bold = FALSE
$Italic = FALSE
$Underlined = FALSE
$HorzAlign = CENTER

1 00:00:04:00 00:00:06:15 One of my favorite

2 00:00:06:16 00:00:09:10 ways to relax is to

3 00:00:11:22 00:00:15:00 set the auto pilot.

4 00:00:15:11 00:00:20:06 The vibration of the boat,

5 00:00:21:00 00:00:23:15 the sun…and the sky

6 00:00:23:20 00:00:27:00 Very, very relaxing.

7 00:00:28:00 00:00:30:00 I could do this for hours

each line is numbered - there's the in point timecode and the out point timecode. and the text to display.

I'll see if I can remember more and get back to you.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson View Post
yes, it is possible to add closed captioning. I did it about a year ago and don't remember exactly, but you type up the closed captioning in a text editor and import it. there's a format you have to follow (sort of like HTML)
I did not think DVDit Pro 6 supported adding your own Closed Captions (subtitles yes, but not CC). Can you post the steps you used to get this to work?

Regards,
George
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I guess I was thinking of subtitling, not CC. I added subtitling to one of the video streams - so the viewer had a choice. but I don't remember if I could switch between the two streams with a button (?)

for clarification, I found this on the internet:

[The term "closed" in closed captioning means that not all viewers see the captions—only those who decode or activate them. This distinguishes from "open captions," where all viewers see the captions, calling permanently visible captions in a video, film, or in other medium "open", "burned-in", or "hardcoded" captions.

Most of the world does not distinguish captions from subtitles. In the United States and Canada, these terms DO have different meanings, however: "subtitles" assume the viewer can hear but cannot understand the language, so they only translate dialogue and some on-screen text. "Captions" aim to describe all significant audio content and "non-speech information," such as the identity of speakers and their manner of speaking, along with music or sound effects using words or symbols.

For example, an English-speaking viewer may need to use subtitles for a Korean movie which translated spoken dialogue into English but would not need to be told that a telephone was ringing or a car horn was blowing offscreen. Such a viewer, if studying Korean, might also benefit from Korean subtitles, but would still not need to be informed of other non-speech audio content.

A deaf or hard of hearing viewer may instead need closed captioning for such non-speech audio content, as well as indications of voice overs, when spoken dialog is whispered, when a different character begins to speak, or using caption positioning, who is speaking in a crowd or long camera shot.

The United Kingdom, Ireland, and most other countries do not distinguish between subtitles and closed captions, and use "subtitles" as the general term.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center