Should it be legal to shoot cats? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old September 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Should it be legal to shoot cats?

All right, since I was the instigator who first put a bug in Chris's ear to get this forum up (thanks, Chris!), and seeing other folks (terrific) work up here, I thought I better join the party.

Here's the latest effort I and my buddy Andy have put together. It's about my home state's brief moment in the media spotlight as they considered a proposal to legalize the shooting (with a gun, not a camera) of cats. Andy directed, I did videography, sound and editing.

We're screening this at the Newburyport Documentary Film Festival in Massachussetts on September 26th and the San Francisco Documentary Film Festival on October 18.

Trailer and more info here:
Prolefeed Studios Video Catalog: Here, Kitty, Kitty

As always, comments/questions welcome.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Major Player

To answer the question posed in your title, absolutely not. I have three cats including two barn cats and live in a very rural area.

Feral cats - and other animals - are a sign of our ineptness. These highly intelligent creatures shouldn't be killed because of our folly...

(I fear this thread could verge on the "political"....let me know if that isn't your intent and I'll happily edit this)
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Anyone who could shoot my cat Tabitha is sick in the head:

Having said that her cousin Kizzy went missing three years ago, there is a lot of night lamping and game shooting in our area.
We live in a very rural location but have three cats and they are on our payroll at the pub as they keep the mice and rats away.
BTW Tabitha and Kizzy are all american maine coon tabbies, so is it not a case of shoot them and you kill your own?
Maine Coon tabbies used to be used for hunting and are very dog like in attitude as they will fetch and are superb hunters, she even keeps the flies and bugs down during the summer as she hunts those too. We sometimes also get a rabbit for the pot but the stoat brought back last year was rather smelly and went in the bin.
I miss Kizzy as she used to be a dab hand at Pro Tools Dubbing:

They share the same daddy.... Cancoon Billy Bob an all american stud boy!

And Kizzy was a big girl aged two when she went missing!

Sorry for being indulgent my take is that Guns were invented for hunting so if you aint gonna eat it why shoot it??? There are certain wealthy idiots in my back yard who pay a fortune to shoot game in the name of field sports and then leave it to rot or to attract the foxes that they then complain about killing their young game, its a strange ethic.
let the debate continue! I am sorry I havent watched your doco as there may be subject matter that I wish not to see, but I am sure you have done a good job at a balanced argument.

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; September 11th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Brian, I have to say that is one of the most bizarre topics of a documentary I've ever heard of. Being Canadian, I hadn't heard about the "Great Cat Debate" in Wisconsin. Good luck at the 'Fests!

PS. And by the way, I LIKE bizarre...
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the comments so far. And no, I did not intend to start a political debate about the merits (or lack thereof) of shooting cats. It was really just a shameless plug to solicit comments on the documentary itself. If you really want to get into the politics of it, I'd invite you to join the very lively discussion on our blog at:
The Feed (Check out some of the comments!)

Like all trailers, the trailer is deliberately provocative and doesn't necessarily reflect the tone of the whole movie. The movie itself really doesn't take a side in the issue, it's more about the gulf between the two sides and trying to see if there is any common ground between two polarized camps. It's also about how the national media portrayed this in very black and white terms (rednecks vs. cat-lovers!), when in fact most people in Wisconsin had mixed feelings about the issue. We found there are sympathetic characters on both sides, some of whom quite surprised us.

Who would have guessed that the infamous "Merrill cat killer," charged with drowning cats, would turn out to be a thoughtful, compassionate grandfather who quotes Aldo Leopold?

It IS a bizarre issue, which is why Andy and I wanted to make a movie about it.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Brian,

I forgot all about the great cat debate. Tnx.

Terry
Terry Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques