Documentary Contest Signup Thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Documentary Contest Signup Thread

Let's get this started and see what happens! Go ahead and sign up on this thread if you are interested.

Here's the way this will work:

Official start is October 1st. I'll announce the theme and any other last-minute twists or requirements.

Progress update on October 19th by midnight. Post 30 seconds of footage gathered or shot, and one sentence containing one thing that you've learned in the process. Keep it cryptic if you want - just want to make sure everyone is still engaged. This is a crucial part of the contest - if you miss it you may be disqualified.

Final films due October 31st by midnight.

Length requirement: 5 minutes or less.

Legal requirements: If you have legality questions, consult this forum - there is more than enough info here to let you know what's legal and what's not.

Footage requirement: Any and all interviews must be shot within contest time frame. Found and archival b-roll from before the beginning of the contest is acceptable only if you did not shoot it. No old projects! The goal is to start something new and learn something new.

This first contest is going to be a bit lean in the prize department, but it'll be a good learning experience for everyone. I'll put up $50 for first place, and $25 for second and third so that you don't walk away totally empty-handed -- hopefully if we get something started here we can grow that aspect of the contest a little bit. If anyone would like to add to the prizes, let me know!

So without further ado, go ahead and sign up if you're in for October. Any questions can be emailed to me at philip (at) centerstreetproductions (dot) com.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Although our online video gallery isn't available yet, DV Info Net will host submissions for this contest, most likely using a free FTP upload account system similar to what we did for our UWOL contest series. I'll have something to donate in the way of prizes, don't know exactly what yet, but the commitment is made.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Ooh…sign me up.

I’ve got footage for one documentary that a guy never got off the ground and ideas for others. Maybe this is the jump start I need to learn more about it; I never got past the first few chapters of the book I bought about making a documentary.

Thanks for taking this on, Philip. Great idea! And, as usual, thanks for giving us these opportunities, Chris. :)
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok... count me (actually Chris Barcellos and I) in....

Is there a sharktank here or something else in its place? Hmm.. maybe the "dark well of....?????"...

Not to worry, that was curiosity.... I am looking forward to this one. Great addition and thanks to all for the effort. We will have an entry.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Trustee

what the hell! - I'm in UWOL and shooting another short this month, may as well
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Always eager to get more experience, count me in!
Dutch Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm already signed up for UWOL, but there's no time like the present to try new things, so please add my name to the list.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Somebody's got to get last place. Count me in.
David Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Although our online video gallery isn't available yet, DV Info Net will host submissions for this contest, most likely using a free FTP upload account system similar to what we did for our UWOL contest series. I'll have something to donate in the way of prizes, don't know exactly what yet, but the commitment is made.
Camcorder media such as a memory card or Mini DV tapes are good suggestions. I know that can get expensive if you run these contests frequently so maybe a sponsor can give you a generous discount.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Trustee

comon guys & gals, how about some competition?
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

first contest for me...

I'll give it a go....

Is there an official sign up link, or is this it?

Thanks,

Mike Watkins
Mike Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Here's hoping I'll actually have the time to see it through.
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Mike - this is the real signup thread. First time I've tried to run something like this, but we're going to basically follow Dylan's pattern, with a few minor changes and probably slightly less organization.

The biggest change is the much longer time frame to shoot your project, which will hopefully help some of us who have very busy lives, or just want more time to play. See the above list of rules for that.

Wednesday morning is the theme announcement and then we're off! Thanks for those who've jumped on board - good to see seasoned DVInfo contest veterans and new faces as well.

I'll be putting something together too, but I'll take myself out of the competition since I already know the theme... (-:

Dylan's contest has the wall of shame, and UWOL has the shark tank - I think ours should be the Video Blender. If you totally bomb on this contest, shoot 5-10 seconds of something being put in a blender, upload that, and we'll post those too.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
A blender, huh? Ever see this?
Frog in a Blender

Not very documentary but even us working stiffs need to take a break sometimes. And please, no footage of REAL frogs in blenders. My stomach wouldn't hack it...
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Lol. Yup - that works. If you don't have time to film it, you can post a link to what you would have done.

I saw one once of a guy who was blending his old iPhone after the new one came out, but he accidently blended the wrong one.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques