Legal rights, Releases and Compensation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Legal rights, Releases and Compensation

Question, If I put together a documentary for internal purposes and somewhere down the road a network channel (NBC, Military, Discovery Channel etc) wanted to air it and I was NOT seeking any financial compensation would there still need to be release forms and legal paperwork on both ends?

Does seeking "Rembursment for the purchase of equipment" constitute financial gain on my end and if so how does that change the direction of the film?

This question is promoted from the Music I am using as well as thoes people in the film.

Thanks, Chris
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You will need releases from everyone who appears in the film. You will also need to have the music rights cleared. Depending on the source of the music, this could get pretty tricky. If you are using stock production music, then there will be a procedure for clearing the rights when you purchased it. Often this is a 'step' deal, with the price going up depending on the level of broadcast release.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Richard, as far as releases go, anyone who appears in the film as in "On camera where one could pick them out of a crowd?!??"

Chris
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

The answer is yes. Discovery and all the other networks require releases from interviewees, stock footage and music clearances, and work for hire paperwork from everyone you employed on the shoot/edit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques