Shooting from a moving truck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old September 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting from a moving truck

I'm going to Haiti with a good friend who distributes food and medicine out in the villages.
His organization has a "duce and a half" truck to get around. Very stiff suspension.

He has asked me to document the conditions of the area and the people. The roads are very rough. Many are just mountain paths. Many have been washed out from the three recent storms.

I have a Glidecam and several monopods. Any suggestions or experiences as to how I could get good footage while riding in the back of the truck? Is this just about impossible?
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Major Player

theoretically if you have something like a merlin you could avoid some of the jerkiness

I have yet to test this in a moving vehicle but I've been told it helps - is there any way to shorten your glidecam to a handheld level that you could then use on the truck?

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think it depends on what you want your final product to be. If you are looking for rock solid shots forget about it, if you just want to minimize the bouncing around then i think the glidecam will help. Also, a nice .6 or .7 wide angle will draw away from some of the lesser movement to an extent, but still will not help in very rough conditions...
Chris Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Trish and Chris,
Thanks for your comments. Sure gives me something to try...
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques