Shoot an important journalist meeting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Shoot an important journalist meeting

Hola guys on wednsday me and my partner will fly trough 3 different cityes to shoot thesame journalist meeting that will be set up in 3 different european capitals.....
We'll take with us 2 HDRFX1 camcorders........
On the meeting will talk9-10 people a day and they will have a background screen where they will show their power point photoslide.
How do you suggest to set our gear?I was thinking to record all the meeting with one(never stopping the recording); then to use the other one forclose-upsand to shoot the crowd.
What do you guys think about it?
Any video example on the web about this kind of shooting?
muchas gracias
Hasta luego
MM
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Marcus,

You could think about 'chapterising' the film - and have three 'episodes' to convey the fact the journalist is in three different locations.

And you could use a map sequence as 'chapter marks' - and that would give the viewers a sense of where you are at any particular time.

For me it makes sense to have one camera at the back on a tripod and recording the whole of the first presentation - with the second camera shooting close-ups and cutaways of the audience. either on a tripod or hand-held.

At the second and third locations you won't need to record the whole presentation again because you'll know which bits are and are not important....that will allow you to be more 'creative' and get shots from different angles to vary the coverage.

I filmed a management coach in a similar style....one 'safety' camera at the back, with a feed from a radio mike, the second camera at the front.

You can view it at the visionworks website (link below), click on 'examples' in the navigation bar, choose 'client films' from the dropdown menu and select the third example: 'Showcasing Success'.

Whatever the case, three shoots in three different cities in the same day....good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques