Background choices for multiple interviews at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old February 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Background choices for multiple interviews

I'm planning a project that will involve interviewing a couple dozen people several times over a period of about 6 months to a year. Some of the interviews will take place in my lab (where I will have control over the environment) while others will take place in other locations.

I'm weighing my options when it comes to backgrounds. I think I'd like to keep a consistent background to remove evidence of where the interviews were filmed. I also think having many different backgrounds behind the same subjects-as the locations change over time-- will become distracting to the viewer.

I'm leaning toward white seamless, which is easy enough to transport and set up and will bring the viewers' attention completely to the person being interviewed. Given the nature of the subject matter (healthcare) I also think white adds symbolism.

I'd like to have some other opinions.
Thanks
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Major Player

If you're proficient with lighting and have control over the client's wardrobe, a pop-up Botero green/blue screen would give you maximum flexibility of background image (at the expense of more pre-production and post-production work). There are plenty of other 5'x7' portable (pop-up) Botero backgrounds that are more photographic looking. Mottled grays, mottled brown and mottled blue would probably be safe bets. They setup quickly and you can light them minimally and still get good results.

Collapsible Muslin
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

The thing that I would also think about would be sound. The rooms may sound very different even if you're using a lav. If it looks the same but sounds different that may be distracting too. Might be a good idea to test things first.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
I also think having many different backgrounds behind the same subjects-as the locations change over time-- will become distracting to the viewer.

I'm leaning toward white seamless, which is easy enough to transport and set up and will bring the viewers' attention completely to the person being interviewed. Given the nature of the subject matter (healthcare) I also think white adds symbolism.

I'd like to have some other opinions.
Thanks
Bob
Shoe on the other foot... Maybe your viewers will find the same white backdrop boring after time and would tune out. Introducing a shallower depth of field will help blur the background and keep focus on your subject.

All the Best!
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree that white might get a bit repetative over time. You'll need something to balance out the composition - for example, a simple streak of coloured light or some shadows from a Matte placed over your background light.

If you are shooting single camera with the same framing the whole time then I wouldn't rule out using a green screen. Gives you plenty of options in post and if you don't change the framing at all during the interviews it would be very easy.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Good ideas. Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques