Copyright question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Copyright question

Hi everyone,

Currently I am working on a documentary about mechanic shops. A lot of the subject will be customer relations. My question is, I will be shooting customers coming to the shop and some will even volunteer to be interviewed after a release form signature. However, if I am shooting them (with a signed release form) walking around the shop and in the background and there are other customers just in the shot, do I have to sign release forms from them as well? I am trying to cause the least amount of disturbance I can in the shop while showing that the shop is pretty busy.

Thanks
Mohammad Farooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A method sometimes used is to put up a notice at the entrance informing people that you may be filming customers inside the shop as part of a documentary and that is assumed that they will be giving permission to appear in the background, but if they do not wish to appear in the film they should inform the film maker.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've done what Brian suggests but it's nothing my lawyer would recommend. Best, obviously, is a signed release. I favor blurring the folks in the background as insurance.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Blur the faces or get a signed release. There is no other 'legal' way.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's the job production assistants, together with a lot of other useful things, did before budgets were so reduced that one person now does everything. I'd add that blurring looks awful and it's better to clear things if you possibly can.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
New Boot

The people in the store have a reasonable expectation of privacy, so it's theoretically possible someone identified in a background shot could take issue (unlikely, though).

Seeing that you haven't shot yet, a good alternative to blurring may simply be to frame your shots so customer faces aren't identifiable.
Bill Currie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques