Camera techniques tutorial/advice!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera techniques tutorial/advice!?

Hello guys,

I am hoping to get funding to turn my little media initiative in a charity organisation into HD. If I get the money I will get HD cams and a good PC etc. But I have to give them a reason why I need the funding. So the reason is I want to make a suite of 5 video docs. on disability awareness as its a disability service I work in.

But I want to be able to sell these videos on to colleges etc that teach social care or institutions that want one of the videos for staff training day etc. The videos need to be professional and look well.

The previous videos I did tended to be put the cam on a tripod and interview the subject with a 2nd camera doing the odd cutaway. It was nothing too difficult. But this time I want to do something professional but young and funky to keep interest.
Before,I tried holding the camera in my hands and zooming in and out quickly whilst moving left and right like u see on MTV but it ruined my footage. Any help?

I am looking for links to good websites etc that teach about camera techniques and all that.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

looks like it was not well planned you may need to look for pple around to check the video and bounce idea on. You may need give some color and do fast paced edit to make sense out of no sense and you may certainly need to watch the clips several time to get some pattern and build a story on the pattern and if necessary do more shoots. but all in all you have a lot of work before you and the earlier the better before it dies. looks for human angle that touches the heart.

Last edited by Olakunle Olanrewaju; August 14th, 2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Look over the BBC good shooting guide:
BBC Academy > Good Shooting Guide: the basic principles - Online course details

Learn the basic "rules" before trying to "break" them with erratic camera movements.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques