Animated Maps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Animated Maps

I am woking with FCS and would like to make maps depicting changing wildlife populations over time. I have seen this effect many times but I have no clue as to how to do it. Normally it is a semi transparent color layered over a map and it changes size and shape or color.
This is for a salmon video. We are in Alaska. Thank you, mark.
Mark McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Using Layers to animate a map

I have made animated maps using a layered Photoshop file where I import into PremPro "as a sequence" (not merged) and then use wipes on the overlay to show progress on a road (or in case of the Columbia River floods, the water/mud layer). Not exactly your application, but it can get your creative juices going.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McNamara View Post
I am woking with FCS and would like to make maps depicting changing wildlife populations over time. I have seen this effect many times but I have no clue as to how to do it. Normally it is a semi transparent color layered over a map and it changes size and shape or color.
This is for a salmon video. We are in Alaska. Thank you, mark.
What are you using for source content for the maps? Talk to a GIS person if you are using real data to make the maps. A GIS person should be able to output you a video file from that map data.

(Funny.. but I am going back to school to take GIS this fall. lol)
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
New Boot

They have GIS here at this watershed council where I am doing the video. I will talk to them. Thanks for the suggestions.
Mark McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you want to do it direct-to-camera outside of Photoshop or NLE, - Some years back I did a B/W satellite weather photo printed on thin thermal fax paper stuck to a lexan sheet on a stand, backlit through the paper by a lamp below and a set of lamps above to light the print detail.

I used the backlit gels, cut to coastline shape under the paper on bottom side of the lexan sheet, red for the landmass and blue for the ocean. Didn't look too bad to reversal film at the time.

You might be able to lock a paper map on top of a lexan sheet on a stand and animate backlit gel pieces beneath it.

Use cooking oil or water to make the gel stick to the lexan. If you have a spare map, you may be able to soak that in cooking oil to make it more translucent and let more backlight through. Inkjet print may be ruined though.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 27th, 2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you have After Effects, that might be an easy way. Manipulate masks over time to illustrate your changes. Photoshop might be easier but I've never done it that way.
Richard Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques