De-breathing Interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

De-breathing Interviews?

What is the opinion on de-breathing interviews?

I have a few people that seem to breath loud. (Lav on the chest, not air hitting the mic.) I can take some of the breaths out but I'm not sure if I can remove all of them because the words are too close. I was thinking the sound track may help to subdue them. BTW, this is not a doc about lung disease.

I do this for voice overs - its quite easy because I controlled the speech pattern during recording. I'm just not sure about the interviews. Do you normally try to clean up the interview?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes I take out breaths that can be separated from the dialogue. I use Sound Forge and clean every interview clip. I zoom into the audio and remove or reduce the level of the breathing wherever possible. There is not much you can do with breathing during speech only at the beginning/end of the word or in between pauses. Yes a music track can help if it fits your interview and isn't overpowering.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For interviews I try to remove only what sounds really bad. For really bad breaths, I replace with a bit of room tone stolen from somewhere else in the interview. A lot of times, I can just put cuts on either side of the breath and slip it of frame. For ones that are tough to remove or that sound awkward if cut, I just pull the level down a bit during the breath. In my opinion, it's possible to get carried away with removing breaths. A lot of times music and ambient sound track can mask a lot of what sounds annoying when you just solo the interview sound. For narration, I scrub that stuff of all breaths.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques