First foray into long form documentary making - tools for structuring? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: First foray into long form documentary making - tools for structuring?

Cool, thanks! By the way, I did watch Speed & Angels - fantastic film. Of course my film contains only archive material so I can't compete on shot quality!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM   #32
Regular Crew

LOL!
My friend i can't send you private mail....I ve lost somewhere how to contact your personl contacts on dvinfo.
How can i write private message?
Stefano Sernagiotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM   #33
Inner Circle

PM on its way!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #34
Inner Circle

There were a some remarkable film-makers over here who made an award-winning two hour feature documentary I had the luck to watch over the shoulder for much of its process.

They shot 80+ hours of oral history on 16mm film, graphics plus aquired a wealth of archive stills.

The interviews were structured to a limited extent but it very much was cinema verite and spontaneous.

They did a "paper edit" in that everything in the audio tracks was transcribed with film edge numbers also printed in an edge column. From what I recall they also marked up and listed events in the oral histories which were common, marked up and listed keywords which might serve as cut points across interviews, then set about cutting up their printed pieces of paper and assembling.

Once they had that skeleton, then they started cutting film workprint and soundtrack on a flatbed. This was before the modern miracles of Adobe CS6, MS Word and the like. So much organisational effort was desirable before taking to the workprint with a cutter and splicer. Once they had an assembly then they set about trimming and pulling it in tighter.

They got it down to about 2 hours and 10 minutes. They wrote a narration and recorded the voiceover narration plus a visual introduction of the narrator and a few throws to the narrator in person.

At that point the editor brought in another editor to make the hard decisions and cull that which could be culled that the original editor did not have the heart to take out. They got it down to the two television hours - just. It worked.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 30th, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques