Blind approach to Music Documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old October 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Blind approach to Music Documentary

Hey everyone:

I know it's an odd title, but as you read this, you'll understand.

I have 2 shoots set up on the same day for a music documentary I'm working on for a solo artist.
The first shoot would be the interview itself of the talent, and the 2nd shoot would be his solo performance
in a old fashion theatre.

I was able to take my crew to do a walk through, so we'll know how to prepare for accordingly, so that's squared away.. However for the 1st shoot, that is not the case.

The only thing I know know is that the interview will take place at the performer's house. We're unable to set up time to do a walk through (talent is on the road) I won't know till the day of the shoot how the set shot up, and what the lighting is set. So he could have us shoot at his den, living room, heck maybe the kitchen. So I won't know if the room will be big enough for me to incorporate 3 cameras, The added kicker is that because it's short notice, there won't be any crew, it'll be just me handling the shoot. Luckily I have someone as the host to interview the talent so I can focus the tech end. Because his performance is on the same day of the interview shoot, I won't have as much time to film, so the set may have to be really quick so that I spend more time capturing the shot.. His schedule is wildly unpredictable so this may be the only chance I have to shoot the interview....

So my question is, with limited information, resources going into a shoot blind, what would you do to prepare prior to the shoot.

Thanks!!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Blind approach to Music Documentary

I would take some props in case there is not a suitable background. I would suggest someing like a table and perhaps a vase or some other type of decretive item that you can show in the background. I would also take a green screen set-up if you have access to one. If there is not room for your usual 3 camera set up, just ask some of your questions from different camera angels. If the area is to small, I think the subject will understand that your normal set up is not an option. Just make sure that what you do capture, is captured well, including the sound.

Last edited by Kevin Lewis; October 31st, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Kevin:

It's funny you say sound, for that's the one thing I know I have covered, it's the other things that remains a mystery. My hope is that he has a music studio at his home, so that we can capture interesting musical props/ memorabilia in the background so the back drop would be nice. If not, then at least where ever her works his music we can catch something similar in that vain.

Robert
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Robert:
Just a word of caution when incorporating memoribilia in the background. Just make sure that its not something that you will have to get a license to use (such as a famous persons image). You dont want to get the perfect shot and than cant use it or have to blur it out. Good luck with your shoot.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the reminder Kevin.

I did hear back from the performer, and learned that instead of shooting at his home, the interview is moved to the theatre where he's playing. At least I know we'll need to bring lights, not sure it'll be in the dressing room or out on the stage, but at least I have an idea. And that I was able to get another crew person to help me set up, so that's a little relief. At least I know the theatre manager is cool about doing filming in the theatre, so that's another relief.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm sure you know but just in case, an empty theater may result in boomey audio.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Just an update I was able to borrow a Loew Light kit, and held the interview on the theatre. The talent showed up a little late, so that bought me more time for some more crew members to come in to help set up the lighting and the shoot. The one thing I couldn't control was the 2nd shoot which was the performance (I couldn't bring additional lighting), so we just did what we could with our camera settings to compensate. Otherwise I think (knock on wood) the shoot went well, & just a lot of footage to pour over with.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Sincerely

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques