Inspiration needed for performance video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old April 29th, 2019, 04:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Inspiration needed for performance video

Hi all,

I need some inspiration creating a short video (no more than 5min) of a dance performance. The entire performance is about 30min. I was hoping to incorporate some "behind the scenes" footage that I shot while the performers were practicing and preparing and making their costumes, but I'm not sure how to incorporate that with the actual performance. The performance is 8 different short dances. I have different camera angles from the performance. I also have voiceover (each performer describes their interpretation of the original dance). I'm trying to figure out how to approach it. I was hoping to find some other similar videos for inspirations. Does anyone know any or has any idea how to approach this project?

Thanks
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Inspiration needed for performance video

I’ve made similar movies for a couple of clients over the years. Some studios get a free montage where I do a quick 10 minute walk through filming them getting ready and edit a simple montage set to music that’s a separate movie on the dvd.

I’ve also done more involved ones where I visited the studio interviewed and filmed them practicing. This movie was then played at the performance and used on their web site. It’s best if you can decide on a structure and purpose then go out film to meet that plan instead of trying to make sense of bunch of random footage. I’d also say while creative and rewarding they take a lot of work and are not easy to do.

A very straightforward approach would be to emulate those dance and singing competitions on tv where they show the behind the scenes of them getting ready and talking about their piece followed by their performance.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques