Please tell me what you think at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old September 17th, 2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please tell me what you think

I'd like some feedback on my newest video before I make it public. I'm particularly concerned about the opening lines of the narration -- I'm not quite sure it works. Any other comments or suggestions would also be appreciated.

Old September 17th, 2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Please tell me what you think

Nice footage - I'm thinking the night footage and commentary ( at ~12-20 secs) would be better at the end, make a nice conclusion.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Great program Ray. A couple of comments, I think the opening narration is to fast. I don’t think you have to re-record it, but try putting ‘breath gaps’ in all the opening sentences, to suit the pace of the visuals.

Keep doing this until the viewers ‘ear’ settles down to your voice style, but if this is working, maybe all the way through.

Cheers.
Old September 17th, 2020, 08:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Listing View Post
Nice footage - I'm thinking the night footage and commentary ( at ~12-20 secs) would be better at the end, make a nice conclusion.
Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment. A couple of my recent videos just previous to this on had the night shots at the end, so I wanted to make this a little different and put it up front.
Old September 17th, 2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Great program Ray. A couple of comments, I think the opening narration is to fast. I don’t think you have to re-record it, but try putting ‘breath gaps’ in all the opening sentences, to suit the pace of the visuals.

Keep doing this until the viewers ‘ear’ settles down to your voice style, but if this is working, maybe all the way through.

Cheers.
Thank you for your time and comments! I will give that a try.
Old September 18th, 2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Ray, great video. I really enjoyed the footage of the old buildings. Things take a long time to rust in that dry climate. My one comment is that in the beginning and also a few times in the body of the video, the music could have been toned down just a bit. also, as the narration could have been slowed down just a bit. Other than that I think it was a hit. Looking forward to more of these trips through time. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob!
Old September 20th, 2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the input! I made a few changes -- put a little "breathing room" between some of the lines of narration, and shifted one line a bit. Here's the final version:

Orizaba Mine, NV 2020

Join me as I explore some very picturesque ruins at Orizaba, NV and the Orizaba Mine. This was one of the most interesting sites I visited during my 2020 trip. The mine’s structures are over 110 years old, and include two stationary boilers, a head frame, hoist, and other artifacts. You’ll also see the cabins of the old mining camp.

Music:
“Cinematic Inspiring Piano & Strings”
“Inspiring Piano”
by Siberian Music
https://audiojungle.net/item/inspiri...rings/26619935
https://audiojungle.net/item/inspiring-piano/19265913
Licensed through AudioJungle
Old September 20th, 2020, 05:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

G’day Ray, despite all the rivets there, you nailed it! Nice work, your narration now works much better than your earlier version.

One thing I meant to add before, can you leave your original video in place, then it’ll be a great tutorial for others here, if you haven’t deleted it that is.

The only other comment I’d make for future productions and you might be doing this already. But using this video as an example, you have an international audience and some folk don’t know where NV is. So maybe start with a map of the U.S. highlight Nevada and zoom in etc.

Cheers.
Old September 20th, 2020, 05:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
G’day Ray, despite all the rivets there, you nailed it! Nice work, your narration now works much better than your earlier version.

One thing I meant to add before, can you leave your original video in place, then it’ll be a great tutorial for others here, if you haven’t deleted it that is.

Cheers.
Thanks. Unfortunately I've already deleted the original version.
Old September 21st, 2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ray, have you thought about doing any commercial work? You’re a one stop shop, from the script to the final mix. With your beaut drone footage you could easily produce good commercial videos.

A good way to start is to produce gratis community service videos for local Tv. You could move onto local advertisers, eg: using your drone camera, car dealers, real estate etc.

Cheers.
Old September 21st, 2020, 07:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Allan. At this stage of my life the last thing I want to do is start a new business, especially one where I'd have to deal with clients. (Been there, done that, as a freelance illustrator.) I'm having too much fun to spoil it by turning it into a job. :-) I don't even monetize my videos.

If I could find a way to make a buck off my videos without selling my soul, I'd definitely consider it. But I'm in no hurry to do that.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 11:46 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Ray, The Nevada Tourist Commission would be a thought.

And I’ll bet the Nevada Historical Society would be happy to hear from you ...

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques