Dollies and Jibarm's D-I-Y or B-U-Y at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old June 1st, 2003, 04:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Dollies and Jibarm's D-I-Y or B-U-Y

While I don't think it would be "too" difficult to make a dolley and track myself or with the help of homedepot and the DVi community, I have to wonder if those do it yourself cranes are worth trying. for some reason I have this feeling the last thing I see before I die of a heart attack is a bolt fly off of my did it myself jibarm and my entire rig collapse to the ground immediately followed by myself. Has anyone made there own stuff before? I have to admit saving 500 dollars building it myself is pretty dern appealing. (I guess stabilizers would be cool to but I ahve to say I'm really interested in the crane's and Jibarms. any input would be great.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:39 AM   #2
Major Player

You can get help on www.homebuiltstabilizers.com. You'll se allot of DIY stuff and get in touch with the community.
Are you a handy man? If so, you can definitely save some money and make something better than some commercially available products!
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

In most cases buying is better than DIY. The reason is that in most (as opposed to all) cases someone has gone through the trouble to engineer the critter. The better the reputation usually the better the product.

The other advantage is that if they have been around awhile, they have probably enhanced the product removing some of the equipment's shortcomings. Not only that parts may be available for overnight shipment should one become damaged.

That said, if you feel confident and competent you can do a roll your own project and save some money. You can then use that money for other gear you feel more important.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable