"Indislider Insight" video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

"Indislider Insight" video

http://www.vimeo.com/1493399

My observations and techniques with the Indislider. I use it differently than the recommended way. I mount it on top of my tripod head, instead of directly to my sticks. Allows for more shooting options.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Major Player

strange... not the video... I haven't seen it yet. Vimeo is "converting" it & the completion time says 11 minutes! ANyone seen that before on Vimeo?
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Great job Paul!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice video. That's exactly the way i shoot with the glidetrack i bought recently.
The main reason for that is that i only have one tripod at the moment. And i need to buy a cheap second head to put on top of the track.
On top of my 503 head it ads a little bit of instability, the head 'wobbles' a little bit on the extreme sides of the track. But it is really easy and fast to setup for some dolly or truck shots. I mounted a Manfrotto 577 quickrelease under and above the track. It's a matter of seconds before i can go.
Attached Thumbnails
"Indislider Insight" video-dsc00020.jpg  
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

why not putting an extra leg with a cheap monopod.
of fixing a bar between one end of the rail and one leg of the tripod.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, that's possible.
I'm actually thinking about buying a dedicated cheap tripod with head and to use this setup for the really quick ones. Also, when i have to walk with my gear, another monopod or bar will be to much. This is already a pain to drag around.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hurbert- just out of curiosity, whats that on the front of the lense of your a1?
Corwin Garber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Just got my IndieSlider. :-)

While I haven't had a chance to give it a good workout yet, I'm really liking the thing.

My only concern is that it seems a bit "noisy", there's a very distinct dragging sound as it slides along the rail, even with the brake loosened as much as possible.

Anyone know if maybe I've done something wrong in the setup, or is this just the nature of the device?

Cheers.
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer View Post
Nice video. That's exactly the way i shoot with the glidetrack i bought recently.
The main reason for that is that i only have one tripod at the moment. And i need to buy a cheap second head to put on top of the track.
On top of my 503 head it ads a little bit of instability, the head 'wobbles' a little bit on the extreme sides of the track. But it is really easy and fast to setup for some dolly or truck shots. I mounted a Manfrotto 577 quickrelease under and above the track. It's a matter of seconds before i can go.
Hubert:

I too have been contemplating buying the GlideTrack. How do you like it? is it smooth throughout its entire range? The way you have it setup, can you pan the head while sliding the camera?

Let me know.

Thanks so much!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hubert:

I too have been contemplating buying the GlideTrack. How do you like it? is it smooth throughout its entire range? The way you have it setup, can you pan the head while sliding the camera?
It is smooth all the way. But i like it better with some weight. With the XHA1 on top it is easier to control than with the small HV20.
It is possible to pan, but i don't use it that much. It is better to support the end of the track with one hand and to glide with the other. You can pan the head by pushing the end of the glidetrack, but you have to be carefull not to unscrew the track from the tripod-plate. You can make some crane-like shots when the camera is on one end of the track while panning.
Tilting can be done with the camera in the middle of the track, once you get to one end of the track the glidetrack wants to start screwing tighter/unscrew itself from the tripod. It's just because it isn't designed to mount this way. With the track mounted on legs and a head on top you don't have these problems. I just like the flexibility mounted this way.
On normal use the track doesn't move on the plate. Maybe i'll drill a VHS-adapter hole in the track to stop it moving when tilting.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks for the video - most helpful.
Steve Mullholand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable