What is my best bet to create a 360 track - shooting shoe box size products at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old December 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #1
New Boot

What is my best bet to create a 360 track - shooting shoe box size products

I'm shooting shoe box sized products - is it possible to create a 360 track and go around the box? I was going to have a snoot lighting up the box on a black floor.... if the track is wide enough then I shouldn't get it in the shot.... at least that is what I have in my head.

Thanks for any insight!
Steve Mullholand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Steve..........

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a US version of this Hague HTD device.

HAGUE UNIVERSAL TRACKING DOLLY D5

Pretty sure I've seen a couple advertised but can't remember where.

Save you laying track tho' circular track can be had.

CS

PS: It's the Hague Hi Hat Table Dolly, not the first one on the list

Last edited by Chris Soucy; December 15th, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Although.................

Dredgeing the memory banks, I did use this to achieve the same effect for a crisps commercial I shot in London quite some years ago.

The shot was of a large circular table with a large bowl of crisps at it's centre.

About 7 or 8 people standing around the table diving in taking handfulls of crisps.

It was shot very tight so the effect was just seeing hands diving into frame then pulling back out again with a handfull of crisps.

The problem was, they wanted the camera to be tracking around the table - fast.

Some head scratching, a bit of lateral thinking, a tripod dolley and a length of rope did the job.

(Luckily for me, the table was one of those cafeteria type things with a single central support column).

Tied one end of the rope to the bottom of one tripod leg, threw it round the table central colum and tied it to another tripod leg bottom.

Pull back to keep it taut, frame on centre of table and start walking around the table.

Worked an absolute treat, tho' it got a bit hairy as the speed increased, had a couple of occasions when the talent couldn't get out of the way of that scything rope just at shin height.

Does require a good quality dolley and a pretty smooth floor (both of which I had).

Be a heck of a lot easier without the homo sapiens talent too.

CS
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Trustee

if the product is shoe box size - why not fix the camera and rotate the product with a lazy susan type of setup?
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
if the product is shoe box size - why not fix the camera and rotate the product with a lazy susan type of setup?
That's what I was thinking, but it won't work if the background needs to be seen changing as the subject is circled.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks all! Great replies. I'm working on a solution now....

I really am having a lot of fun doing this - trying to create new and unique angles to shoot stuff at.
Steve Mullholand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Paul..........

You must be phsycic.

What I left out of my post in the interests of brevity was that I had raided our favourite Chinese restaurant for just such a thing, a large metal turntable with a huge clear glass top, and an unseen hand was spinning it the opposite way to the travel of the camera.

Made so much noise we couldn't hear ourselves think but the finished product looked pretty flash.

CS
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #8
New Boot

Hello Steve,

If your products are this small, why not using a turntable where the center-axle stays fixed? Your product will be on the (fixed) axle while your camera is on the rotating platform.

Easy to a DIY! I will send you a pic of a rig I made some years ago if you need some more info on this.

Good Luck,

Onno
Solid Grip Systems Amsterdam
Onno Perdijk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable