Glidetrack - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #31
Major Player

Never say never! I have full Tool Room facilities at my disposal, so ANYTHING is possible. Give me a call and i am sure I can sort you out. Numbers on the site.

Off the top of my head, why not get a second smaller head to leave permenantly mounted to the carriage? Fit a quick release mount to the track, and you have a really quick to setup system, ready to go at a moments notice?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #32
Major Player

So, Satchler tripod, Manfrotto quick release, Glidetrack attached to quick release, another cheaper head on the glidetrack and Bobs your uncle. Right?

How sturdy would be the connection? Wouldn't it tilt a little when the camer is at the end of the track?
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
So, Satchler tripod, Manfrotto quick release, Glidetrack attached to quick release, another cheaper head on the glidetrack and Bobs your uncle. Right?

How sturdy would be the connection? Wouldn't it tilt a little when the camer is at the end of the track?
Every connection you add contributes the potential for un-wanted movement. In practice though, if there is any minor amount of movement, it happens gradually and at an even rate, as the glide occurs. As such, your not likely to notice it i.e. can you see any evidence of it, in any of the clips posted by all the users?
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #34
Major Player

Depends on the weight of your rig, and the tripod head.

I havnt noticed any bend when using a single tripod for support with my FX1 with large battery.

Havnt used it in the field yet but plan to use with 2 tripods whenever possible. Just keeps things more sturdy.
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #35
Major Player

Glidetrack

I just got my Glidetrack HD today and am already very impressed and happy with it. First of all shipping from UK to my house (US) only took 1 day..very nice! I needed the quick setup of the glidetrack and to be able to use it with only 1 tripod. I'll be using the xh-a1 and xl-h1 on this with a bogen head so I got the HD version. Very well made, sturdy, and the glide is very smooth. There's definitely no issues with the weight or bend in the track.
I can't wait to start using this and will be throwing up footage once I get to it. Thanks Alastair !!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #36
Major Player

Matt - I've had mine about a month and love it. Alastair's been great with follow up questions too.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Good to hear. Thats going to be my 2009 investment too. Just have to score a few more gigs and I'm getting mine.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Mine should be here any day now....yippy!
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #39
Major Player

I'll be building my own mini dolly soon, I would buy a Glidetrack however the postage to South Africa is going to cost me so much that it's not worth it.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #40
Major Player

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Nicholas, check your DV Info Mail!
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Major Player

Hey Matt,
How did this unit hold up to Cinevates Pegasus that we used in Toronto? Is it just as smooth or is the Pegasus a better unit but out of reach at it's price range?

JB
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #42
Major Player

My Glidetrack arrived in Brazil very quickly after ordering it. Havent used it yet on a shoot yet but I am impressed with the build quality. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers View Post
Hey Matt,
How did this unit hold up to Cinevates Pegasus that we used in Toronto? Is it just as smooth or is the Pegasus a better unit but out of reach at it's price range?

JB

Jason,
They are definitely different due to how each one is built differently but even after using that one, I'm very happy with the glidetrack. Price is obviously one factor and even the HD model is about 1/2 the price. The main factor for me was actually the fact that I could put a glidetrack on 1 tripod while the pegasus requires two. I always have a second shooter but still get most of 'the shots' myself and needed to be able to set this up as quickly as possible to do a shot.

Now, the pegasus uses ball bearings so it naturally glides with a bit more ease and requires less force to move it, but with a little use and understanding of how to get the smoothest shots on the glidetrack, I feel that there will be no way to tell which one I was actually using. For example, on the pegasus, you could have the camera on a head and be pushing the top of the camera and it would slide just fine. The glidetrack might stick a little if you were to do this so I simply push from the lowest point, on the actual plate, and it's just as smooth. I used the regular glidetrack while up there too and with some weight, it had the potential to stick slightly...I don't get that at all with the HD model.

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #44
Major Player

re

are there jitter problems when shooting 25p using this glidetrack, how slow do u haveto go not to cause jitter?

sorry to jump in
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post
are there jitter problems when shooting 25p using this glidetrack, how slow do u haveto go not to cause jitter?
Actually not, because most of the time the subject is af few meters away and doesn't move that hard across the frame. Don't forget to turn of the image stabilisation.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable