Aluminum bike rack slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Aluminum bike rack slider

I was considering the Kessler pocket dolly when I thought of an aluminum bike rack I picked up one day from someone's trash. I've since seen another one of them in use, so it was commercially made but I don't know the brand.

It is a center 6' section and two identical extrusions fit in channels in both ends. More solid than I need for my XH-A1. So without any substantial mods, I can merely place the rack on the ground lengthwise using the wire bike rack parts for legs. Since it holds 2 bikes, I get 4 adjustable feet, that also slide in an edge groove on both sides. So it's off the ground about 8 inches. The sliding sections are designed to press up against the roof and down on the floor to hold the rack in place in a room, not on a car.

But I can mount a tripod head or quick release plate to one of the extrusions, (there are what look like 3/8 threaded bolts for adjustment that will work, I could also just use industrial strength velcro) pull out the other one, and get about 8 feet of solid sliding movement. It is not silent, but with some teflon tape or dry lube it might be. Also I could make a carriage out of material like a plastic cutting board or rods. Should not be any problem to mount one end to my tripod and the other end could be higher or lower, for an incline slider.

Not bad for free, I'll try it out soon. It seems substantial enough with enough inertia to get a smooth action without the need for a crank. If 6' is too long, aluminum is easy to cut so I can make it shorter, but for now I'd also like to keep the bike rack option.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing. I'd love to see a photo.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable