Looking for Pegasus feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old November 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Looking for Pegasus feedback

Is there anyone using the Cinevate Pegasus system on a regular basis who'd care to offer their feedback on the product?

A search of the forum only turned up a post on someone unpacking their rig, no review of its use.

I'm considering one (probably the Heavy lifter) for use with my EX-1 and Blade (that's about 14 lbs without mattebox or monitor) but would like to find out if people are happy with them. There's very little chatter about it on the boards.

In particular,

1) Must I use two tripods as bases for the rails, or can I use a tripod and C-stand?

2) Does the heavy lifter have wheels, such that it can be used as a tabletop dolly? It looks to me like the heavy lifter can only be mounted to its rails.

3) Has anyone tried flying it on cables yet?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Bob, you can look to Kevin Shahinian, Patrick Moreau, Casey Warren, Joe Simon, Ray Roman etc, who all post here. They all use the Pegasus Heavy Lifter (now called Atlas 30 LTS) almost daily. Joe Simon tends to use the Pegasus Carbon system, and showed us some very cool time-lapse dolly shots done on the rig.

To answer your questions:

1. Very often the event guys use whatever is on hand when not using a table or the ground. Using the backs of two chairs, laid across the top of two doors, or simillar. You can use a combination of C-stands, tripod heads, tripod sticks (no head required if you're using 75 or 100mm balls) or any grip gear that requires a 5/8" stud, 1/4 20 threads, or 3/8" threads.

2. The Atlas 200 LTS and Atlas 30 LTS use bearings on steel rails and must be used always on these rails. Pegasus Carbon uses wheels and can be removed for use as a table dolly. It has integrated rubber "tires" for this application.

3. We've used it on cable, as have a few others, however rigging cable is a real challenge. We are working on a turn-key cable system to make cable shots as easy as their rail mounted counterparts.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Too late, Dennis, I already bought it from you!!!

My heavy lifter arrived earlier in the week. I used it for the first time yesterday to shoot a brief test, which I'll write up on my blog later this weekend. My preliminary thoughts are that while it is not inexpensive, it is a professionally machined piece of industrial gear.

Your company is a pleasure to deal with.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Major Player

A review of the Heavy Lifter, including test footage further down in the post:

Cinevate Pegasus Heavy Lifter Robert Kerner’s Blog
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Bob, thanks for that review! I posted a comment in your blog...give us a shout and we'll arrange the update for your leg system. The legs system is the same as the Atlas 200 now :-)

Cheers,
Dennis.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dennis,
How big is the cable system?
Matt Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Matt, currently we only sell cable wheels for the Pegasus Carbon system, but not the cable or endpoints as we're not done with engineering. Our plan is to have a complete turn key solution very soon. Cable cam shots are not easy to do using gravity so our solution will offer remote driven options for moving the cam.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Major Player

The Pegasus has been renamed and it can now be had with feet.

My updated review:
Cinevate Atlas 30 LTS Robert Kerner’s Blog
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable