Introducing - DP Slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old January 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Introducing - DP Slider

DP Slider offers a camera dolly system that is smooth to operate and simple to setup. Designed with roller bearings, the linear motion of DP Slider is ultra smooth. In addition, the carriage guide is made of aluminum channel to provide a light weight yet sturdy system. DP Slider can be used on table tops or directly on the ground. It can be mounted on a single tripod or light stands. It can be orientated on an angle, upside down or even sideways and it will always slide smoothly. In addition, a unique feature of DP Slider “V” Series is its ability to provide VERTICAL slide to emulate crane motion.

DP Slider - take1productions' Photos

www.dpslider.com
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, very nice! Simple yet seemingly very effective and versatile. I like the ease of sloping and vertical shots.

How smooth are the vertical shots, given the offset weight of a camera rig on the side? Any recommended weight limit?

Very impressed, Don!
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I like the DP girls section! lol, nice touch. Looks like you have a great product.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Major Player

They appear to be 450-875 depending on size and choice of either horizontal or vertical. A bit much for me as I'm tempted to use my current slider and jib, but so very interesting. The credit card is calling my name....
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
Wow, very nice! Simple yet seemingly very effective and versatile. I like the ease of sloping and vertical shots.

How smooth are the vertical shots, given the offset weight of a camera rig on the side? Any recommended weight limit?

Very impressed, Don!
thanks Marshall. the largest cam i had on the slider was the EX3 loaded with wireless mic, on cam light panel with brick battery on it, and shotgun mic. it was very smooth in both horizontal and vertical mode.
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice. What is the max weight the slider will hold?
What is the max focal length for smooth linear tracking?
What is the max length that could be supported using single pro tripod, say video15?
THX.
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Major Player

For those who didn't catch my other post, here it goes...

I had a chance to see and play with the DP Slider at IN[FOCUS] last week in Austin. The DP Slider is way smoother than my Igus built slider (zaza slider, kessler pocket dolly, glidetrack). The Igus stuff uses a "plastic" bearing where the DP Slider uses metal "Wheels" I believe (Don, correct me if I'm wrong here). The plastic bearings sometimes get stuck and ruins a shot and every time i played with the DP Slider I didn't have that problem. The igus built sliders are a little noisy as is the Cinevate Atlas (one with bearings), but the DP Slider was virtually silent. For those of you trying to use audio while sliding, this might be important. The many different ways you can mount the DP Slider was really awesome as well. I like how the higher end model he sells has a locking carriage and you can put quick release plates on the feet to do vertical shots. Overall, I think the value is incredible for the price/performance and I keep leaning more to getting one... dang you Don, just when I thought I was done buying things :)

Last edited by Cody Dulock; January 26th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: sgh
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Trustee

While I commend the use of wheels/bearings rather than friction as with the Igus units, I would prefer to see a wider track - especially for heavier cameras.
I don't know what the actual track unit is manufactured for, but it would be interesting to see if they make a wider version.
Either that, or two narrow tracks joined in parallel with the carriage bridging them.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Major Player

I believe you could stand on the DP Slider just like the Igus built stuff and it would be solid as a rock... I could see if you didn't have your slider properly mounted and stabilized that it could tip over with a front heavy or back heavy camera setup.

Don, can you get your hands on a full Red One setup to test out?
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Or, if Don is willing, I can put one of his sliders into the hands of a RED One owner (one of our moderators, who has some experience with other slider brands).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock View Post
For those who didn't catch my other post, here it goes...

I had a chance to see and play with the DP Slider at IN[FOCUS] last week in Austin. The DP Slider is way smoother than my Igus built slider (zaza slider, kessler pocket dolly,
I don't see how it can be smoother, my Igus is perfectly smooth. It looks like it has less drag than the Igus, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing if you want the smoothest possible shot. Is there a way to dial in some resistance? Especially on those vertical shots, seems it'd be difficult to get any degree of smoothness.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm sorry if I was not technical enough to justify the difference between the two. The DP Slider does have some resistance, but it's smoother than the Igus stuff... I don't know exactly how it is built to make it smoother, it just is. Another nice feature is, you don't have to "align" the bearings on the DP Slider...

For vertical and diagonal shots there was enough resistance to be able to control the move. Once again, I don't know any of the technical details about how or why, it just works. Don't get me wrong, the Igus slider's are nice and cheap, but the DP Slider is in a different league as is the Cinevate Atlas.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Or, if Don is willing, I can put one of his sliders into the hands of a RED One owner (one of our moderators, who has some experience with other slider brands).
i would love to have a red one sitting on a DP Slider. chris, you got mail.
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
While I commend the use of wheels/bearings rather than friction as with the Igus units, I would prefer to see a wider track - especially for heavier cameras.
I don't know what the actual track unit is manufactured for, but it would be interesting to see if they make a wider version.
Either that, or two narrow tracks joined in parallel with the carriage bridging them.
how heavy of a camera would you like to support and slide smoothly?
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Barel View Post
Nice. What is the max weight the slider will hold?
What is the max focal length for smooth linear tracking?
What is the max length that could be supported using single pro tripod, say video15?
THX.

the largest cam that i was able to get my hands on to test was a loaded EX3. currently setting up a test with Red One

i have shot with a 70 - 200 lens with the lens @ 200 and the image was great with sliding shots

i have used a loaded EX1 with a 47" slider on one tripod and it worked great. had to add weight to the tripod so it would not tip over.
Don Pham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable